t h i r t y n i n e

Amara POV

I studied the blueprints of the building that I would be infiltrating just a few days from now.

Doctor Levine stood beside me, leaning over the papers.
"You will be able to use your power to unlock this door here," she pointed to a section on the outside wall,
"Once you're in you should encounter guards, lots of them. My sources tell me they have doubled the security detail in the past week."

"Lovely," I remarked sarcastically, rubbing Survivor between the ears.

"Try your best to avoid getting in any confrontations- once you are discovered you have a matter of minutes to make it to the inner chamber where the Machine is kept and start taking it apart."

"How long should the dismantling process take?"

Doctor Levine sighed. "I cannot know exactly. By my estimate no more than ten minutes if you're brain is operating at full capacity."

"Where am I going to get ten minutes of time from?"

"I will be hacked into the computer system, shutting off security cameras, locking and opening doors, and doing my best to keep alarms silenced- but I cannot promise anything,"

"Just do the best you can. I need a moment." I turned and exited the room, Survivor and Destiny padding after me.

"Tomorrow I'm flying away from here, pups. And I probably won't be flying back." I said softly, stroking their fur.

Survivor had gotten so big, and his amber eyes drilled into mine.
Destiny nuzzled my fingers, licking them. She sensed my sadness.
I laughed a little, a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth.

"Come on, lets play one lasts game of fetch before our time is up." I whispered, getting to my feet.

•••

Chelsie POV

Yulia and I were in the middle of a movie when her phone began to vibrate.

She held up a finger, signaling for me to pause the show.
I did so and she answered. "Yulia here."

In the silence of the room I could hear Anastasia's voice over the phone.

"You're needed in the reminisce chamber. It's young Lafrance."

Yulia sighed. "Again?"

"Yes- he's asking too many questions. His father had ordered it."

"Be there in a moment." Yulia hung up and smiled weakly at me.

"I have something I have to go do, okay? I'll be back soon, feel free to keep watching without me."

I didn't reply, just nodded my head.

Although, when she left the room I didn't resume the movie.
Reminiscence chamber?
What was that about?

And what did it have to do with Peter?

I got up and threw the door to my bedroom open, rummaging around through my drawers. Why did I have the feeling I would find something hidden?

I began to throw clothes in all directions, and than my hand found a notch in the smooth surface of drawer interior.
I tugged at it- peeling back the thin layer of splintery wood.
A small photo strip was hidden, the type that you would take in those photobooths at the mall.

It was a younger me with a younger Amara.
Our eyes were shinning with unmistakeable happiness.
Her tongue was sticking out and I was cross-eyed.

I ran my finger down the picture, fondly.

The HH had done something to her to turn her evil. They must have.
I would find a way to set her free of their grasp. And once she was free I no longer had to fear her.

I placed the photo strip back in its place and calmly refolded the clothes, setting them in the drawer to cover up the crack in the wood.

I decided to let the whole Reminisce Chamber thing go.
Was probably just some kind of code name for some science-y thing.

•••

Peter POV

I strained against the metal cuffs that held me down to the white table.

"Somebody is lying to me! Who is she really?" I hissed, staring at Anastasia.

She just shook her head.
"Peter, once you accept what truth is given to you everything will be much nicer and you won't have to go through this unpleasant process again- not that you'll remember it."

"She's not bad- is she? You've been feeding lies to my brain! To Chelsie's brain! You are really the one who is trying to take over the world."

"Wow. How perceptive," Anastasia said dryly, slowly clapping her hands in sarcastic applause.

I glared.
"You are tricking Father into going along with this plan of yours. You're manipulating him, you snake!"

Anastasia laughed. "Really, boy, how hard is it for you to comprehend the fact that your precious papa has been tricking you- his own son- all along?"

"He wouldn't. He may be a little harsh at times but I know he loves me. Like he loved mother. And he knows that she only ever wanted to help everyone, give to the world."

Anastasia stepped nearer to me, trailing a cold finger down my cheek.
"Poor, handsome little fool. I suppose you must know the truth, because soon it will be erased anyway. Your father didn't lie to you- your mother did indeed die at the hands of the Head of Humanity. But he may have forgotten to mention that he is the HH's boss... and that he ordered her assassination."

She was a liar.
She was lying.
"Father would never-"

"Oh but he would. Your mother was a very smart lady, but she knew too much. And she didn't like it. Can you believe that she was secretly undermining your father's plans and projects the whole time? You can understand he wasn't very happy when he found out. Something had to be done. But don't worry little Lafrance- her death was painless and quick."

My arms quivered as I tried to break free of the restraints.
"Damn you, Anastasia."

She chuckled as the door opened with a whoosh and Yulia came in, calmly walking over to the large computer mounted on the wall.

She began typing and I felt a strong sense of deja vu wash over me as a needle slid into my skin and everything went white.

•••

☕️