Chapter 4

Shayel immediately closed the notepad. She accidentally dropped it while she was standing up and it opened to her sketch.

"That's beautiful," he commented. She blushed and bent down to pick it up.

"Th-thanks," she replied.

"You have talent. How come you work at a cupcake shop? I would think someone with that talent would be famous by now."

"This place......was my mothers..."

"Oh, traditions. I see. I know how you feel. I now run my father's restaurant. I'm on break right now, and my staff wanted cupcakes...so here I am. Getting them cupcakes."

"Is that Papa's Eronii and Spice?"

"So you know the place." The man grinned at her. "Ever gone there?"

"My family would go there a lot when I was a kid...are you Matt?"

The man laughed. It was a deep laugh, which made Shayel smile. "Indeed I am."

"You're the kid who would always bring me my menus, and you insisted that the menu-boy had to sit with the family until they were done with their menus!"

"That was you? My, you've gotten old!"

"Look who's talking, menu-boy."

"Man, I was so depressed when you guys stopped coming to Eronii and Spice. I kept waiting by the door for you to come again. I made my little sister give everyone else their menus."

Then Hannah came out with the orders. Matt took his, but didn't leave and let the other customers pay first.

"Ah, young love," sighed Hannah. "Disgustin'." And then she went back into the kitchen.

Shayel and Matt stared at the swinging door with their eyes open in surprise.