Chapter One

The long walk back to Villam was familiar now, even if I hadn’t been permitted to go until now. I had been allowed so near. Until now, and now that I was allowed I hesitated. The gentle mare, Amore, nickered beside me and nuzzled her head against my head; her gentle way of encouraging me down the path. With a sigh, I picked up the handles of the crude wheel barrow and began to walk again, not allowing myself to look at the contents of what I was pushing.

I would have to deal with that before I could go home. With how long I’ve had to wait, I supposed a few minutes more wouldn’t hurt. As annoying as he had been, it was nice to have known someone from Villam out on the battlefield. The absence of his idle chatter now seemed to make the wheel barrow heavier.

I wasn’t sure what I was even supposed to do with it. It had taken me until now to even realize it. As far as I knew, Fern didn’t have any family in Villam. I certainly couldn’t dare ask Alenia about it. Especially not now. Her relationship with him had always been complicated, but that girl didn’t want to see anyone dead.

Dessielle, I realized. I could ask her. While she had never been pleasant, or fond of me, she would be best to ask. I had no doubt that she would have made it back home already, since she would have been able to ride, unslowed by the burden of a body. I knocked on the door, and was quickly greeted by a small boy.

I knew him, but he acted liked he didn’t know me; quickly standing up straight and saluting me before running off to get someone older never saying a word to me. I shrugged it off; I was too tired. A moment later he was replaced by Dessielle and her father in the door. In the past, the girl had loved to tease me and ridicule me but now she merely nodded. I nodded my had to the barrow.

“Fern has fallen?” She asked, trying to look surprised. Sadness she didn’t need to fake. Again, I simply nodded.

“Leave him here. We’ll take care of him. And thank you.”

“No, thank you,” I said, waiting though unsure for what.

“Run along home, Elro. Don’t keep your pretty bride waiting.”

“We haven’t been properly married yet,” I reminded her, trying to keep sadness from my voice.

“I’m aware.”

“Will you be coming then?”

“I think I might actually. Do wish Alenia our best when you get home.”

“I will. Thank you again.”

With the door shut, I had the imaginary permission I needed to hurry home, my body complaining the entire way. Amira neighed happily, likely detecting my excitement. I tied her reigns to the deck, despite the fact she was a good girl; she had never run off on me before, but I had promised her original owner that I would return her one day. I wasn’t willing to take the chance.

I had waited so long for this moment and now that it was here, I was nervous. Everything had changed. I opened the door to the small guest house in search of Alenia, but she wasn’t there. Frowning, I looked around; it looked like she hadn’t been there in quite some time.
With my worry growing, I locked our guest cottage before hurrying over to the main house. I had permission to just walk in, but after this long it felt strange to. I knocked on the door, waiting. It felt like forever, but there was my love waiting for me on the other side of the door.

“Elro?” She questioned as though she didn’t believe what she was seeing. I hadn’t told her there was a chance I could be coming home, just in case I ended up not. She hugged on to me tightly despite as though if she let go I would disappear again. She caught me by surprised; I was covered from head to toe in dirt and blood but the girl didn’t seem to mind.