Samhain

Arthur couldn't help but gape at Merlin. A whole week. He voiced this out loud. "A whole week? I'm not sure I can spare you that long." Merlin stood there placidly, putting Arthur's dinner in front of him. "Arthur, let me explain the situation to you. My mother lives alone on a farm, no one to help out now that Gwen and I are gone." He pauses waiting to see if Arthur would catch on but when he doesn't Merlin continues. "My mother needs help with the harvest because the man who usually helps out broke his leg. So I need to help my mother and Ardin with their harvest so they will survive the winter." Arthur knew that Merlin always took Shamain off, he'd always thought it was to see his mother and celebrate the thinning of the veil. They didn't celebrate it in the castle his father always said it was as if they were worshipping socerey. Arthur would always look out his window and see the bonfires lit in the lower town. Merlin coughs politely bring him back to the present. "Yes Merlin you can go." Merlin gives an awfell bow. ''Thank's Arthur I'll see you next week. I arranged to have George to wait on you." With that he left, the room was silent and Arthur felt lonely. He watched through the window as Merlin left the castle.

He wandered around aimlessly, so when he caught sight of Gwain he was relived. "Hey Princess you seen Merlin? Seeing as he should be nearly finished work I was wondering if he wanted to join me at the tavern. He's always to busy to come down these days. I thought I might persuade you to let him." Arthur shales his head then pauses. "What do you mean he never goes to the tavern? He's always at the blasted tavern!" Gwain looks at him weirdly "Merlin's never at the tavern, he only goes when your there or when there's a specific reason for his going " Arthur is rather flabbergasted . "Then where the hell does he go?" Gwain steps forward cautiously. "Sire did it ever occur to you that Merlin could have lied to you. Did he ever actually tell you he was in the tavern?" At this Arthur pauses Merlin had never actually confirmed his accusations. But Guais always said...had he been lying to Guais as well?

"Look Princess I'm sure its nothing to worry about, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's found a girl." At this Arthur scoffs Merlin and girl didn't even come into the same sentence. "So where is Merlin?"

"He's gone to his mothers to help with the last of the harvest. He left this morning for Ealdor." Gwain nodes "How long will he be gone?" Arthur shrugs "I gave him the week off. This time of year he always goes home celebrate Samhain and see his mother." Gwain looks at Arthur as if he were an idiot a look normally found on Merlin's face. "Rather do you know what Samhain is?" Arthur snorts in annoyance and follows Gwain as he walks towards the lower town. "Explain it to me" Artjer shoots gwain a look. "humour me." Arthur racks his brain. "They celebrate the end of harvest and the thinning of the veil." They'd reached the square and Gwain stopped. Arthur look around does it look like people are celebrating?" Arthur glance around people looked worried and kept glancing at the sky. "Does this remind you of anything?" Arthur looked closer stacks of wood were there to be lit the moment the sun set. "The Dochera attack." Gwain nodes his head in approved and sits by the the fountain. "Samhain is when the veil between worlds is nearly transparent. It allows spirits to drift into this world, it doesn't matter if their good or bad they still come. But the veil works two ways, you can go to the other world the only thing is there's no garuntee that you will make it back. Merlin hasn't gone home to dance around some fire with his village, he's gone home to protect his mother." Arthur coughs to hide his disbelief. Gwain just sends him a look. Merlin is stronger than you give him credit for Arthur. Now when did he leave? " Arthur pauses to think. "Not yet half an hour ago." Gwain looks stricken. "He'll never make it by sundown I must go after him." With this Gwain starts to run off. Arthur runs to catch up. "You can't honestly believe in this stuff can you?" Trying to reason with his friend. "Arthur with everything that happens to us you are honestly doubting this?"

Gwain doesn't even bother packing his bag, he just grabs a navy cloak and and heads for his horse. Leading his horse out to from the stable Gwain pauses before mounting. "Are you coming or not princess?" Arthur hesitates for a moment then calls for his horse.