~pRoLoGuE~

sakura sakura (Cherry blossoms, cherry blossoms,)

noyama mo sato mo (In fields, mountains and villages)

mi-watasu kagiri (As far as the eye can see)

kasumi ka kumo ka (Is it mist, or clouds?)

asahi ni niou (Fragrant in the rising sun.)

sakura sakura (Cherry blossoms, cherry blossoms,)

hana zakari (Flowers in full bloom).

I gently cradled my new sister's fragile figure, lulling her to sleep with the same song I'd grown accustomed to singing, every time she burst into syncopated tears. It was a traditional Japanese folk song, speaking of the beauty of spring and the blooming cherry blossoms, easily my favorite time of year.

Little S/N whined softly as I finally finished the first part of the song. I giggled warmly as she grabbed tufts of my hair in her pudgy hands, gently rubbing at her rosy cheeks.

Mom and Dad were in the kitchen, waiting for me to join them after having put my little sister to sleep. They wanted to talk to me about the possibility of manifesting a quirk since I had finally turned 4 last week.

The party was amazing! All my friends from the playground and new school friends came, and we played all sorts of party games, eating purple cake, and guessing at what my quirk would be.

Most of them thought I'd get an electricity quirk so that I could zap and zip and zoop away, others thought I'd have light control, both quirks very similar to my mother and father's respectively. 

"Hurry up, Y/N dear! Dinner's getting cold!" I heard mom's muffled calls from below. 

"Oh yes, daddy made his famous tempura!" Dad added, laughing heartily. 

"Coming!" I answered giddily, stomach grumbling as the smell of fried fish wafted through the room. "Just give me a few more minutes."

S/N was reaching for my hear again, her much needed rest disturbed by our loud exchange. 

"Sorry, S/N," I whispered. "We didn't mean to bother you." I cooed at her. "Do you want me to keep singing?"

Her eyes sparkled with intense wonder, and I took it as a sign to continue.

sakura sakura (Cherry blossoms, cherry blossoms,)

yayoi no sora wa (Across the spring sky,

mi-watasu kagiri (As far as the eye can see.)

kasumi ka kumo ka (Is it mist or clouds?)

nioi zo izuru (Fragrant in the air.)

As I reached the end of the song, my voice grew steadily in a frightening crescendo, the soft melody reverberating through the walls mercilessly. 

I tried to force myself to stop singing, arms trembling as S/N froze in my arms. But I couldn't. Every time I tried to gulp down my words, the music was forcefully spat out at an even more deafening volume.

izaya izaya (Come now, come now,)

mini yukan (Let's go and see them!)

I finally managed to stop setting down S/N shakily in her crib, as I spun to run down to the solace of my parents. 

But they were already at the door, gripping the frame with white knuckles, breathing heavily. They stared at me shocked, utterly confused.

"What-" Dad took in a sharp breath. "What just happened?"

"How... How did we end up here?" 

She met my eyes in a daze and I stumbled back, losing my balance, whispering in an almost inaudible tone.

"Was it... Was it my quirk?"

***

A/N

So... here's a sneak peek of how I've been rewriting ;)

Any commentary? Opinions? Impressions? I'm all ears :D

I'll publish the rest of the chapters as soon as I'm done with a few things :')

~Yara <3