33. The Assassin

Mikal

Near the Castle of Grytia

"My Lord! The Kassarathi ships have been spotted in the Red river," a young scout said as he came running into Lord Bernard's tent.

"Good," Bernard smiled smugly. 

The Northern army had crossed the Red River a couple of days earlier. They camped near the western bank in a deserted hillside that lay between Brynhal and Grytia, where they waited for the Kassarathi mercenaries to arrive. While the Kassarathi ships that sailed up the Red River were ordinary trade ships, carrying actual goods and stopping at a few ports for trade, no one could ever suspect that thousands of vicious warriors were hiding below the decks. 

Mikal flew with Vilfred and a few of their men to receive the Kassarathi at the riverbank, before they led them inland towards the camp, disguised beneath the dark night skies.

"The Vausterians probably know already that we are here," Mikal said as he sat inside the main operations tent with Bernard and the Northern Lords, in addition to three generals from the Kassarathi forces as well. "But they wouldn't have found out yet about the mercenaries, so they're probably expecting only a few hundred of us. I say we take the opportunity and attack as soon as possible, taking them by surprise, before news of the Kassarathi presence spread."

"Very well, we fly to attack tomorrow morning then," Bernard said.

"That's right my Lord," Mikal agreed. "We fly tomorrow morning. But the Kassarathi march tonight."

"Why would the Kassarathi march before us?"

"The battle would take place here," Mikal said as he pointed at the map that lay spread before them, marking the wide plain North of Grytia where the battle was expected to take place. "If the Kassarathi march tonight, they would arrive at these woods before sunrise." Mikal pointed towards the Western woods that lined the battlefield. "They shall hide in the woods until morning, and they shall keep hiding even after the battle starts."

Mikal could notice several eyes widening as apprehension started to hit them.

"I will lead the attack here. And as we fight, we shall make sure to keep falling back, doing our best to draw as many of the Vausterian forces as we could, as far North as we could, away from the castle." Mikal pointed at the map again towards the northernmost point of the battlefield which was already beyond the Kassarathi hiding spot. "And then, as we will seem to be pushed back and losing the battle, I will call for retreat.

"When we retreat," Mikal turned towards the three Kassarathi generals who stood listening silently with serious eyes, "you must come out of the woods at once, and ambush William's unsuspecting forces from behind. William's forces will turn and fight the attack at their rear, and as they find themselves cut off from returning to the castle by the mercenaries, we shall return to attack their front, trapping them and finishing them off."

Mikal smiled knowingly as everyone stood overwhelmed with his genius plan, even Bernard, who was staring at him with wide eyes.

***

Mikal and Vilfred returned to their tent shortly before midnight. Without a word, Mikal simply nodded at Brad, one of the three winged guardsmen who stood outside guarding the entrance, and the large man followed them inside the tent.

Mikal stood still and silent, doing his best to appear calm. He had successfully drawn a great plan for tomorrow's battle, but a more important plan was yet to be set. He had been waiting for this moment for a very long time. And finally the time had come. Finally, Bernard would be gone from this world...