1 | Recovery

After the events of Retakka, things were pretty rough. Even if TAPOPS sponsored to help them rebuild their house, things weren't as simple considering the after-effects.

Solar, out of all of them, had suffered the worst. He wasn't feeling the best ever since Vargoba, but this had pushed him off the edge. He daren't sleep with the lights off, in the darkness. Any movement of elemental powers would set him off into a frenzy, panicking to run.

The others that had been involved with Retakka's Gamma Drain hadn't fared better. Thorn tried to scrape his skin from his right wrist in hopes that it might remove his powers. Cyclone would often head out to sea and dive underwater, trying to avoid all air in total (Ice saved him and had to follow him everywhere he goes).

Quake, meanwhile, having being transferred from both Tok Kasa then Retakka, had minor conflicts. He sat in silence all the time, going into a permanent daze until someone woke him. It was as if he didn't exist at all, only responding to someone unless they called for him.

With everyone in shambles, Blaze and Ice tried to cater to everyone's needs. The only person who recovered fast was Thunderstorm, bouncing back to his regular self in no time. He helped them take care of Quake and Cyclone, as he knew them the best. He would disappear with them half the time, only returning during the evening.

Days went by, and they slowly recovered. Solar proved to be the most fragile one, but he wasn't incurable, especially after Thorn snapped out of his trauma. He stayed by his friend's side all the time, which gave the others some shut eye.

"Hey, Thunderstorm." Quake put his hand on Thunderstorm's shoulder, accosting him after Solar fell asleep, this time with the lights off. "Thanks for helping us recover. I can't thank you enough."

Thunderstorm didn't turn from his phone. "It's just my responsibility as the eldest," he said emotionlessly, walking away from the geokinetic after finishing his sentence, but not before adding, "Nice to see you're okay," before leaving.

Soon, the entire team was back in action, training as usual. Being the only three active, Thunderstorm, Blaze and Ice were forced to split up and deal with enemy alien organizations alone. Only occasionally they would be forced to go as a trio, but it was rare. Someone had to stay back to look after the others.

Despite this, Thunderstorm refused to allow anyone else to join him in his missions, even if the risks it held were higher than he could comprehend. He always returned without a scratch, which raised suspicions.

When Cyclone asked him about it, Thunderstorm always answered, "I just work better alone." He wasn't wrong. Even if his speed couldn't compare to Solar nor his firepower to Blaze, Thunderstorm was always better suited as a single fighter.

Not only this, he would forbid anyone else to take missions, and for good reasons. With their fragile emotional state, their powers were dampened significantly. If they were to face any hostility, they would be no match for them, unless they brought a gun.

This fiasco went on for weeks, with the electrokinetic leaving early in the morning and returning late at night every single day. Blaze and Ice might have missions of their own, but it was nowhere as frequent as their oldest elemental. They stayed home most of the time, looking after the others, but it was clear that they had recovered completely.

One day, Blaze was curious enough to ask Thorn how it felt to be absorbed by another being. They recovered enough to not be triggered by the topic, which was a relief. If they freaked out every time they heard anything related to it, the house would be a minefield whenever a skincare product was advertised on every YouTube videos he played.

"I dunno," Thorn said lightly, kicking his feet on the couch. "I was... Dead, but not exactly, I guess." He frowned, biting his lip. "More like feeling power. I can feel how much power he gave me when he was draining the planet. I think I was conscious for a moment? I saw myself fighting three kids from TAPOPS. That's all, really."

"Nothing else? No pain?"

"No. I know I felt pain, but I don't remember." Thorn scrunched his nose. "You should ask Solar. He got it the most direct and worst, you know. But he got knocked out first, so maybe Hali."

Blaze asked Ice to ask Solar afterwards, but the only comment he was willing to give was, "I saw my own fucking coffin," and shut the door in Ice's face. Ice turned to Blaze, who was hiding in his own room, and shrugged.

They didn't pursue the topic further. It was clear what happened in the past should stay there.

The next morning, everyone was woken by a ruckus happening in the living room. As they grabbed the nearest furniture for defence, all they were met with was a trio arguing with one another at five am in the morning. Cyclone had woken up to get some water and he found Thunderstorm lacing his boots, asked about his mission and whether if he could come, but was rejected instantly. They started debating and Cyclone dragged Quake into this argument, but then Thunderstorm still refused and now it's practically a physical fight.

"We're a goddamn team, Thunder! I know you like working alone, but what position are you in to stop us from taking any missions?" Quake demanded, glaring at his childhood friend.

Thunderstorm snorted, his hand clenching the strap of his bag so hard his knuckles turned white. "As your acting team leader, that's my order to all of you until I say so," he growled, voice so low that only Quake and Cyclone could hear him.

Quake scowled. "You were only leader until I recovered. Now that I'm here, the team leader is me," he fought. "And I say you're forbidden to go on any missions and let someone else take your place."

"You're only leader because I made you it eight years ago. Don't go all high and mighty around me, Tanah," Thunderstorm scoffed, turning towards the door. "I'll be back by night. Try to follow me and I'll confiscate your power watches."

He slammed the door behind him, leaving them no choice to retort. Quake threw the door open, trying to get another word in, but he was met with only a trail of dust and smoke, with the faint scent of static and ozone in the air.