4 | Coward

Did you really get over Retakka?

Why would I need to? When we're one in the same...

* * *

He never thought he would be having this conversation in their own living room, but all that matters is that it has to be done quick. Cyclone stared at him as if he was psychotic, but concern was all that was plastered onto his expression.

In the dark, he looked like a ghost. "I lost my humanity." Thunderstorm's gaze fell straight into his, his posture slouched but his expression blank. "I can't come back."

Cyclone felt as if he was punched in the gut. "What do you..."

"I lost it ever since I met the both of you." Thunderstorm studied his hands. "The moment I gave you two a contract, I lost it." He lowered his hands by his side. "So I need you to kill me."

"... what?"

"I can't kill myself, so I need you to do it for me." His spear conjured in his hands in a blast of lightning, which he tossed over to the wind elemental, who fumbled to catch it, its seething tip inches from his own face, crackling with untamed lightning.

Cyclone had never seen Thunderstorm's weapon in such close proximity, but when how he did, all he saw in the red was thousands of possibilities of death, the dangers of the oldest melee's lifestyle. Yet Thunderstorm held this weapon of death as his everyday life, never once pointing the end towards his family.

Now, Thunderstorm was asking Cyclone to point that end towards his heart. The red, eerie aura cast upon Cyclone's face, illuminating his hesitation and fear. This fear was not natural; it was foreign, the fear of hurting a loved one. They should never, ever feel this sort of fear, but now he did.

Cyclone's grip on the spear tightened. "Why me?" he rasped, stepping away from the electrokinetic. He could see it in his eyes; Thunderstorm was going through with this all. "I—I don't understand. You don't have to kill yourself; you can just stay with us! Humanity or no."

Thunderstorm ignored his words. He stepped forward until he was in front of Cyclone, his hand clasping over Cyclone's to direct the tip of the weapon to his chest. "It doesn't hurt its holder. You will not be harmed. But only you can finish me off," he deadpanned. "I trust you, and I don't want our enemies to be the ones that kill me."

"But—But I don't want to kill you!" Cyclone spluttered, trying to wrestle the spear from Thunderstorm's grip. His hands began to slide out, but this time, Thunderstorm grabbed his wrists instead. "You can't ask me to do that! You can't just die and leave us!"

"Cyclone," Thunderstorm said.

Cyclone continued to struggle, but Thunderstorm's grip wasn't budging. "You—you can just find a way!" he spluttered, starting to kick now. "Dying is not an option! You can find therapy and we'll support you and—"

"Cyclone." Thunderstorm's expression began to darken, his tone low with the hint of a growl.

"You don't have to shoulder everything yourself!" Cyclone's voice cracked, his fidgeting stopping as his body racked with sobs and tears. "We're a team, aren't we? We're a team... A team..."

"Cyclone!" Thunderstorm released his grip, sending Cyclone stumbling backwards into the sofa. His hands were still clenching the spear, its glowing tip still pointed at Thunderstorm.

Thunderstorm crossed his arms, his black hoodie shuffling as he tucked his hands into the fabric. His eyes were glazed over, vague frustration shown in his posture.

"I know it's hard," he said softly. "But I can't live anymore. I can't exist in this world without—"

"Without what?" Cyclone interrupted, holding the spear close to him. "Without making us scared? Without triggering our trauma?" He clenched his teeth. "So you won't even give us a chance to understand?"

Thunderstorm looked down to the floor. "Without turning into a Retakka." Ignoring Cyclone's surprised look, he continued on: "He became a monster because he couldn't resist. He destroyed planets to get the other elementals' powers. Now you're all right next to me, and I can't fight the temptation."

Cyclone's shocked expression morphed into a glower, his body straightening as he stared his friend down. "So you're running because you're scared?" he snapped, throwing the spear down. "You want to run because you're a coward. All this time I've watched you stay strong after everything, even after Retakka." Tears pooling into his eyes, he stormed towards the lightning elemental and grabbed the collar of his hoodie, furious.

"You're a coward, Thunderstorm," Cyclone growled. "You hear me? A coward. You are a selfish, ignorant coward!"

He let go of his hoodie, pushing Thunderstorm away in frustration. Cyclone wiped the tears from his face with the back of his palm, turning away in anger.

"I'm sorry," he choked. "But I'm not doing it. Not unless you give us a chance."

Thunderstorm stood in silence, but he nodded lightly. He walked past Cyclone and back to his room, but not before saying: "Never speak of this."

He disappeared into his room.