☆ One ☆

A thick sheet of cloud settled over the town of Derry, the sun struggled to penetrate. Richie had propped his elbows up against the windowsill. "You're fine," he whispered underneath his breath. Despite the dismal feeling he had burning inside of him, he still fed himself the lie. The wish he was going to be okay. Even though he knew wishes were just some fairytale crap that never actually happened, something inside of him had hoped it would come true. But the day never arrived, he never felt fine. He felt broken.

The sky rumbled as rain started to fall from the clouds, if the clouds could rid of their water right then, why couldn't he? He closed his eyes and let a tear drop down his cheek and onto his lip. It was bitter, but Richie didn't mind. He felt the exact same way. He didn't blame the tear for being so salty, it was coming from him. The pessimistic kid. No family who cared, nobody who would come and speak to him. The only person who had ever gave a shit was his best friend Eddie Kaspbrak.

Eddie had soft brown hair and caramel eyes that melted people's hearts when he stared at them. He was perfect. Eddie kept Richie safe and comforted him when he lost grip of it all. He had freckles that reminded him of stars in the night. That's how Richie pictured them. Richie was a gloomy sky, Eddie was the star that lit his world up when he was at his darkest times. But Richie couldn't contact him. Anxiety overtook him, he strongly believed that Eddie would soon become tired of dealing with Richie and would cut off all contact with him. He couldn't risk it.

He feared he would lose Eddie in his forest of trouble. The trees of doubt and worries that he created would stand in his friends way and they would both be defeated. Eddie would give up and Richie would let go off everything when that happened. The phone downstairs rang. It startled Richie before he went back to his somber state. He let it go to voicemail. He couldn't answer, his throat was too dry from the crying he had previously been doing. "Hey Rich," the voice rung through the box. "Just wanted to check up on you, make sure you were okay," a few small laughs followed the sentence. Once Richie figured out who it was, he picked up. "What the fu..." he stopped himself. "Rich? You okay something happened? Should I call later or..." Richie was confused. How come Eddie had called just when he was thinking of him. "Oh uh no I'm fine, just some idiots outside." He smiled to himself. He technically didn't contact Eddie first so he wouldn't be held responsible for the inevitable cut off of communication. "Oh okay, so how are you? I hadn't called you for a while or seen you much so I decided to today." He held the phone in his hand. "I'm okay Eds, thanks, I really missed speaking to you," Richie's heart sped up when talking to him. Maybe that's why it was such a dumb sentence that came from his mouth. He brought his hand to his forehead and sighed. He truly loved Eddie, a whole lot too.

"Well, I'm free if you are too, want to go down to the quarry? It'd be like summer again!" Eddie beamed. "Will the others be there?" Richie enquired. He wanted to know. He didn't even know why. Being with the others would be nice since he kept himself cooped up from them a lot of the time. He only really still spoke to Eddie after the summer, tragic accidents don't really bring friends closer together. Richie believed it was his fault that Bill stopped speaking to him. Everybody tried to tell him that he was still just mourning the loss of Georgie and that he would come around. But he wouldn't listen, he thought he was too insensitive when it came to Bill's dead brother. He kept himself hidden from his friends, would only speak to them if they came to find him. Never the other way around. But only Eddie ever visited. The others probably thought he was busy. But they never checked up on him, so he cut all ties with them. It was the last two weeks of the summer when he had slowly warmed back up to Eddie and would talk to only him out of free will if he felt better. The others never heard from him again...