RESENTMENT. 01

CHAPTER ONE OF
RESENTMENT ...

SEMAJ RENEE' CARPENTER new founded Editor-in-chief of the Magazine brand. YAMI & CO. A magazine that was around for many years to come, They featured all the new and upcoming models, actors, and much more. It took her years to get this opportunity, and after countless social media posts, and emails to and from companies most of them resorted to rejection; all of them resorted to rejection actually. But nonetheless, she was still grateful for being able to have the connection she did. Even if it dates back to an old friend from elementary school.

"C'mon' Maj, you said you would come to the lil party one of the employees is having. Don't back out on me now, You know I have social anxiety at parties by myself & I refuse to be bored out of my mind without you."

Semaj's best friend and coworker, Freya.

Freya and Semaj used to be best friends in elementary school. Once high school came around they separated, Semaj focused more on a certain view of life than Freya did. Life growing up as a black woman in this world, you tend to lose touch with things, and people. Came around to their senior year they rekindled.

They both were interested in the same thing, fashion. Since they were little girls, they would dress up in their mothers' bulky sandal heels. Their floral dresses and chunky gold jewelry and their pearls. The red Mac lipstick in the shade Intense Bluish-Red or their bright pink beauty supply lipstick that they always wore. They were always saying how they wanted to model or be behind the works of high-brand fashion magazines. Freya made her big break easier than Semaj.

Freya networked a lot after high school being able to get herself in with people who had the social status. She proved herself to a lot of those people which made it possible to land a spot as a new founder of YAMI & CO. Semaj never wanted to ask Freya for a job, she would always deny the position that was given to her. Eventually, after certain things happened, Freya forced Semaj onto the job and moved her way up to being able to work closely with her best friend and provide stability for her and her daughter.

" Freya, for you to be a co-founder, you surely act like a regular employee. Isn't breaking a code of conduct with the staff?"

Semaj laughed mindlessly scrolling through her Instagram feed while Freya continued on with her whine, throwing herself onto Semaj's bed.

Huffing heavily into the pillow.  "Girl don't huff your nasty ass breath into my pillow."

" Maj, I'm the co-founder of the company. I can do and party with whoever I want. They also signed the NDAs, Why do you think the turnover rate for the company became so low after I signed? I know how to do my job and I'm a fun/connecting boss. I'm also a Libra, you can never hate Libra's." 

Freya smiled making Semaj roll her eyes and turn her phone off.

" Groceries is on you next time. Your goddaughter has been getting a big appetite." Freya yelled in excitement as she jumped off Semaj's bed.

"She's big just like her momma anyways so it's not like I'm not used to it. Now get ready. You got two hours."

Freya waltzed out of her best friend's room and started getting ready herself.

***

***

" You know you said this was a pool party, Freya. Why are we at this beach at 9 p.m.?.." 

Semaj sighed as she walked through the crowd of people and sand getting into her sandals, as the ocean breeze hit her.

" I'm just happy you didn't dress like a mom this time. C'mon,' I see Vivica and Chance."

Freya grabbed Semaj's hand and pulled her through crowds of people until they met up with their friend group. It was more than just Vivica and Chance when they got closer to them.

" You actually got Maj out of bed. You good bitch." Chance laughed as he handed Freya the $20 they betted on.

Semaj raised her eyebrows in surprise with a subtle headshake as they all laughed amongst themselves.

" Oh right, Semaj this is Deonte we went to high school together. He just got back into town a few weeks ago."

Chance introduced the two of them. Semaj sent him a small smile and a soft Hi , and Deonte did the same.

" Well now that we made all the introductions, lets go party."

Freya grabbed Semaj's hand and pulled her along to the beach bar while everyone followed slowly behind.