Duluth / 13

The gym was too loud and crowded, her palms and feet were too sweaty, her shoes were too tight, and her lipstick was too sticky. Still, even though Sophie's head was pounding louder than it had ever had before, she couldn't help but laugh at Nick's silly dance moves. "Do you like what you see, Barret?" Nick shouted over the din. 

"You can tell yourself that, Nick, but it doesn't give you any talent!" 

Nick clutched his chest, feigning hurt. His coat had been ditched at the door along with his tie when they entered the gym together, but his slightly loose pink shirt tucked into his dress pants still gave off a formal vibe. 

When Meredith and Sophie arrived at the dance, Nick had been there waiting at the entrance all cool and nonchalant-like, in perfect Nick fashion. He had looked her up and down, told Sophie she was beautiful and then offered her his arm to escort her in the gym. 

After Sophie and Meredith took advantage of the rented photo booth and overly-sweet punch, Nick stole her to do some dancing. 

Nick grabbed Sophie's hands and spun her around while she shrieked. "I take it this is your first dance?" He asked her as he grabbed her arms to stabilize her and stop her from running into multiple other dancers.  

Sophie nodded. "You guessed right. I've never really had a reason to go... and it doesn't really help that I don't know how to dance." 

And as if it was magic, or a writer planned the moment, Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You" slowly faded into the gym. Sophie took a glance around and her heart dropped when she realized that all the other couples were cozying up to slow dance. Crap. She forgot about this expectation of dances. 

Nick smiled at her, smiled not smirked. "Do you need a teacher?" 

Sophie blushed as she nodded.  

Nick grabbed her hands and placed them gently around his neck. "Ok, you put your hands here, and I'm going to place them on your waist. Some people like to get fancy and do a waltz or tango or something, but I'm ah fan of the simple swaying." 

Sophie adjusted her hands and asked, "Like this?" 

"Perfect. You're a natural."   Nick's hands tightened around Sophie's waist and she tensed ever so slightly. 

A minute or so went by when Sophie asked, "Is this awkward or just me?"

Nick's eyes sparkled. "Let's talk, huh? Take your mind off the awkwardness?" When Sophie nodded thankfully, he asked, "Ok, so where are you from?" 

"San Diego." 

"In California? Well shoot, that's so much cooler than here. Why'd you leave?" 

"It's a long story." Another couple seconds ticked by. Wow, Sophie. Conversation killer. She cleared her throat and directed the conversation in his direction. "So have you lived in Duluth your entire life?" 

"Yep. My dad's the owner of a small business on the Waterfront. My brothers and I actually..." He trailed off as he peered over Sophie's shoulder. 

"What's wrong?" Sophie asked as she twisted her head to follow his gaze. 

"Don't look! It's the new teacher. She's staring at us." 

Sophie turned back around quickly to see Nick's furrowed brow. "Miss Keystone? Why are you so bothered by her?" 

"I don't know, Sophie. There's just not....there's something not right with her. I caught her face timing someone and when she caught me, she just... threw me out of the room." 

Sophie laughed. "I think you're overreacting, I knew her in San Diego. You were telling me about your brothers?" The last couple words were drowned out by the beginning of  a new fast song, and the couples around them broke apart to Milly Rock and do the Renegades dance. 

Nick shook his head before releasing Sophie's waist and taking her hand to lead her in the direction of the photo booth. "You're probably right, Barret. What do you say we get some memorabilia from tonight?" He helped her into the tight booth and as the camera counted down, he told her, "Smile!" 

For the first picture, Nick wrapped his arm around her shoulders as they smiled widely. 

For the second picture, they held up peace signs and did duck lips. 

For the third picture, they were caught mid-laugh after Sophie accidentally elbowed Nick in the face. 

And for the fourth picture, right before the countdown ended, Nick tilted Sophie's face towards his. Before she could say anything or know if she really wanted this, Nick leaned in as the flash went off. 

And kissed her. 

So I thought it was going to be only a couple chapters left, but this chapter and the next were supposed to be one. However, I felt bad about not updating over the weekend as I promised so I updated this one to hold you guys over until this weekend, or maybe even earlier. 

I think this is the first time in forever that I've updated within the same month! 

So..... 

NICK!

Nophie? Sick?  

Oof no, I'm thinking Nophie. 

Little spoiler for the next chapter; we will see at least TWO of our Elvin friends. First person to guess both of them correctly will get a shout out in the next chapter and can give me a phrase I will work in into one of the next chapters (as long as the phrase is not too creepy). 

Goodnight! 

Jannie