Duluth / 16

"I'm sorry," Sophie choked out to Dex, wringing her hands. They were both now sitting on the lip of the fountain outside the school, leaving the hallway after the high school couple returned, mashing their mouths together once more. 

It was colder outside, but Sophie was extremely hot in her long-sleeved dress, the weight of her actions and the pain in her head overwhelming her. 

"I'm not going to say its ok, because it's not," Dex said softly. It was the first words he had spoken to her, and Sophie wasn't sure if it made her feel worse or better. He only let go of Sophie to sit down on the fountain, and then he put a good two feet between them. "But I think I understand why you did it. I might even go to say I would have done the same thing." 

Sophie's heart melted just a little bit more for her best friend. "Wait," she sniffed, wiping her runny nose on the back of her sleeve. "How do you know about me?" How did he know about her situation and her new ability?

Dex took a deep breath and told her everything he knew. "Fitz told us- me, Keefe, Biana, Linh, and Tam- where you were after he found you, and we all decided it would be best to leave you be until we knew the Neverseen's plan regarding you or after you regained your memory. Clearly neither mattered." Sophie opened her mouth to apologize again but decided against it. "Fitz came everyday alone, trying to draw something out of you. Until tonight." He cleared his throat here, as if he was trying to rid himself of the emotion in his voice.

"Keefe went with him to your apartment, and then they found those items. Keefe came back to tell the Black Swan, because we thought there was a chance that you could regain your memories. Fitz went to get you. To bring you back. We all were at Everglen, waiting for you two. Mr. Forkle and Tiergan. Grady and Edaline too," He whispered that last part, and Sophie felt another pang of shame ring through her. 

"Then Fitz came home, alone, yelling about how you knew and how you didn't want to come back and how you're a pyrokinetic. I came here right after." 

Silence fell, interrupted only by the repeating lapping of the fountain and the occasional bass boost from the school. Sophie rolled her shoulders, gaining the courage to finally ask, "Why?" 

Why did he come here? Why, after all Sophie had done to hurt him, was Dex still looking out for her and caring for her?

"You're still my best friend, Sophie," He told her, his periwinkle eyes crinkling just the slightest amount, and after a moment's hesitation he extended his arm, taking Sophie's hand in his. She smiled back at him and squeezed his hand. 

Dex's face dropped after a beat and he let out, "But that's not the only reason I came. Fitz didn't know about it before he left but... the Council is meeting at Everglen." 

Sophie's mind stilled, and even the pain took to a back burner. "Why would they meet there?" She questioned. 

"Fintan requested it." Dex let the information sink in for a moment, registering Sophie's look of hatred and shock before concluding, "They've decided to take action against humans."