Stormy Weather Part 4

Tom at work was right after all. On Monday, as he predicted, the City Council announced sweeping cuts and a number of job losses across all departments. It was a relief to discover my job wasn't one of them and I celebrated with a few of the other survivors at Mario's bar that evening. I was begrudgingly forced to admit maybe Tom did have some inside knowledge and I bought him a drink before retreating to a cubicle with Sandra.

Tom's misogynistic nature kept him away from the opposite sex but I was becoming increasingly fond of the lady from the press office. Her happy-go-lucky approach was a refreshing antidote to the stress at work and my difficult home environment.

She was a pretty face and easy to talk to, but Monday set a pattern for the rest of the week and it was Friday before I was able to drive my car home again. I needed it over the weekend and didn't fancy having to go back to work on Saturday morning to collect it. However, with my alcohol intake severely limited and lacking the cover of darkness, my early arrival left me exposed. I was an easy target for my ever-vigilant neighbor, Fred. He had an update on the fence which I wasn't keen on hearing.

"I saw two kids climbing through the hole in the fence last weekend. I'm telling you Jeff, they're breaking into houses along here."

"Was it Saturday night, just after midnight?"

"That's right, did you see them?"

"No, Fred. I was asleep."

He scratched his head. "Well, I got a shotgun indoors so the next time I see...."

"NO! Don't shoot them, whatever you do. I'll have a word with them, I mean, if I happen to see anyone trying to break in that is."

"You okay, Jeff?"

"Just tired. I'll take a look at the fence tomorrow and see if I can fix that stupid hole once and for all. As long as you promise not to shoot me?" He didn't, but I wasn't planning to fix the fence either so we were back at stalemate.

It was too hot outside for physical work and it wasn't much better indoors. There was a fan in the living room where Bobby and his friend were watching TV, but I followed my nostrils to the kitchen where I could smell something nice cooking. Something spicy. It reminded me of Kate's meals.

"What's cooking, good-looking." It wasn't Suzanne though. "Oh, Simon, sorry. I thought you were my daughter. From out there, I mean. You don't look like her up close."

He giggled. "I know. David asked me to prepare a meal. I hope you don't mind?"

"Mind? Of course not. You can cook whenever you want. As long as I get to eat some. It smells good, is that chili?"

We were joined by a very smart-looking Suzanne dressed like she was about to go out. "Hi Dad, Simon cooked last night too but you were a little too tired to eat when you got home."

I took her word for it; I couldn't remember anything from the night before.

"I didn't know he could cook. I mean, really cook. Not like the stuff you make."

"Thanks, Dad. Have you been drinking or is that a silly question?"

"I had a couple, that's all. To avoid the traffic. Are you going out? It's not even seven o'clock?"

"Yes, Daddy." She kissed me on the cheek. "And it's eight thirty."

"Is it that boy again?" I said tapping my watch and raising it to my ear.

"Robert, you mean? Yes."

I smiled. "You're seeing a lot of each other lately."

"It's only our second date, Dad. But thanks for paying attention."