R-e-s-e-a-r-c-h

Leaf's eyes fluttered open, being awoken by Logainne softly snoring beside him. Startled, he slid off the bed and fell to the floor with a thud. Logainne immediately woke up at this, and peered down worriedly at him. "Leaf!"

"I fell." He giggled, a sunny smile spread across his face. She smiled as well, rolling her eyes as she lent out her hand. He quickly grabbed it and hoisted himself up.

He was about to run downstairs, eager for food, but Logainne stopped him. "Look," she said, pulling him to the window and peeling back the curtains. The sky was a bright blue, only a few specks of white clouds dotting the sky. "See? They stayed behind, just for you."

That made Leaf's ear to ear smile impossibly wider. "Yeah, they did!"

"Come on, let's go get breakfast." Logainne suggested, still gripping his hand as she made her way to the door.

"Race yah!" He exclaimed, breaking free of her hand and making a full head start for the door and down the stairs.

"Bet!" She laughed, following closely behind him.

They charged down the stairs, making as much noise as the thunderstorm had last night. In the end it was Logainne who came out on top, reaching the kitchen ahead of Leaf by a hair.

"Woah, slow down you two." Carla mom lightly scolded as she finished setting up the table. Logainne just beamed triumphantly, taking a seat across from Leaf.

"Now, what's the grand prize for winning this race?" Danielle mom chuckled from the kitchen, putting the finishing touches on their breakfast.

Logainne hummed, thinking for a minute. "Maybe, an extra pancake?"

"Hey!" Leaf shouted. "That's not fair!"

"I'm just kidding Leaf! I'll just get bragging rights."

His eyes widened as he pouted. He playfully stuck out his tongue, and Logainne stuck out hers in response. They cracked up, giggling to each other as Danielle served breakfast.

Leaf dug in immediately, scarfing down his food and barely taking any time to chew. Carla furrowed her brows in concern, "Jesus, Leaf, do they feed you at home?"

"Oh, yeah, I'm just hungry." He smiled, cheeks stuffed.

The two kids spent the rest of breakfast chatting about nothing in particular, when Leaf's phone started buzzing from the coffee table. He quickly retrieved it, letting out a sigh as he saw who the sender was. "My parents are here." He said, disappointed.

Logainne smiled bittersweetly. "Well, come on, I'll help you pack up."

They marched back up the stairs to Logainne's room. They got dressed, and Leaf started to gather all his belongings back into his suitcase, with Logainne helping keep track of everything.

"Pajamas?" She asked.

"Check." Leaf answered

"Dirty clothes?"

"Check."

"Toothbrush and toothpaste?"

"Checkaroonie."

"Sleeping bag?"

"Checkers. Checkers! Get it? Like the board game? Heh, heh." Leaf chuckled awkwardly to himself.

He finished packing up with a 'zip' of the zipper. He tied his pride flag cape around his neck (although he didn't know it was a pride flag, he just liked the pretty colors), and was about to make for the door when Logainne cleared her throat.