Chapter One: Unintentional Meeting

Dahlia Hawthorne could scarcely believe she did it. She poisoned a defense attorney. It wasn't a new thing; she didn't feel like she should have been surprised. She was a bad girl, and she knew it. She stole not only other people's hearts, she once stole an expensive jewel from her father. She broke others by using them. She twisted them with her smile.

But, she wasn't sure if she would seriously take someone's life. Until she did. And now, she was hiding in the court's library. Her heart thumped hard as she heard loud footsteps of brutish policemen outside in the hallways. Grabbing her necklace, she lifted it up so she could look at it. It was a beautiful necklace. Dahlia couldn't remember exactly where she got it, all she could remember was that it was one of her boyfriends. It was a glass, pink-tinted heart. Surrounding the heart was a metal painted gold, also melded to be heart-shaped.

What Dahlia loved about the necklace was that she was able to store things within it, in a little vial. And what she held in that vial was a white powder. A deadly white powder.

Slowly wrapping her fingers around the trinket, Dahlia let it fall back onto her neck. Rolling her eyes, she brought her thoughts back to where she was. She needed to leave the courthouse now. The question was how? If she were caught, the police, as dumb as they most always acted, might not be quite nice to her.

That was when she heard a sneeze. Dahlia didn't know that someone else was in the library. At first, she felt an edge of annoyance go through her, but then she had a thought. Maybe this person was her ticket out of there.

Dahlia plastered her usual smile on and took one step towards the bookshelves. Rounding a corner, Dahlia first saw him. His brow was buried within a book of case files, and he didn't glance up. What an odd person to be found in the court library; he wore a bright pink sweater, a big heart with a P on it. He had a scarf wrapped around his neck, precariously. He wore his jet black hair slicked back.

In short, he looked ridiculous. She hadn't even met him yet, and she was already annoyed with him. But he was her only choice; her only hope of getting out of the courthouse without the police having an ounce of suspicion of what she'd done.

Hesitantly, Dahlia made her way towards him. He didn't glance up to her, despite the fact that she was wearing heels that clicked with every footstep. Clearing her throat, she tapped on his broad shoulders. Finally, he glanced up at her, and if there was one thing that hit her about him, it was that his dark gray, piercing eyes made her feel like he could see right through her. Especially at that moment, after he was reading a book that clearly was making him think.

Dahlia caught her breath once again. "Excuse me," she said. "Can I ask for your name?"

He gave her a questioning look. "I'm... uh... my name is Phoenix Wright." He clearly didn't talk to girls. Dahlia could tell by the way he stuttered over his own name.

"Phoenix..." Dahlia pondered over his name. "Well, I just wanted to tell you that... that you're pretty handsome." She placed her hand on his arm, and she watched as a warm blush covered his cheeks.

"Are you sure you're talking to the right person?" he looked down at her hand and shrugged it off of his arm. "I mean... you're a pretty girl. And... ah... pretty girls don't generally talk to me..."

Dahlia tried to hide a snort. I can see why, she thought to herself. He looked handsome, for sure. But he seemed as if he didn't get out much. No, Dahlia. He's your way out of this courthouse.

That was when she had an idea.

"I'm positive it's you." Dahlia placed her hand on his, hoping she wasn't playing too strong. "I've only just met you." He didn't shake her off this time. Dahlia continued onward. "I believe it's love at first sight."