Chapter Three: Sued for a Date?

It had been a few weeks now, since that fateful night. Iris felt as if her heart had been stepped on. She hadn't heard from Phoenix. She kept telling herself that it didn't matter. Dahlia even told her that she shouldn't throw herself at him. "You don't want to appear desperate, do you, dear sister?" Dahlia had told Iris, as Iris clutched onto her phone, desperately wanting to text him.

"I... I don't know..." Iris said. "I just want to hear from him... Why won't he respond? Did... did I do something wrong?"

Dahlia gave her a sad smile. "Boys never respond when you want them too. I guess you're just barely learning about that, huh?"

Iris tried to blink the tears from her eyes. "Remind me to never give my heart so willingly to a boy again."

Dahlia laughed. "No promises you won't do it without me telling you. Besides, didn't you tell me already that you weren't going to fall in love with him?"

Iris laid down on the bed, exhaling a forced sigh. "That was before I met him."

That was several days ago. Now, it was Saturday morning. Iris was determined to sleep, after a long week. But, her phone rang, waking her up. Iris rubbed her eyes, getting up and stretching.

Glancing at her phone, she noticed someone was calling her. A number in which she didn't recognize...

Instantly, her heart skipped a beat. Iris hit the green button, shoving the phone up toward her face. "Hello? Feenie?"

The person on the other side didn't respond, and the hope inside of Iris died. This wasn't Phoenix. "No..." a curt voice answered, a slight British accent tinted his voice. "This is Prosecutor Edgeworth. I'm looking for a witness for the Alleyway Murder. To my understanding, you and your boyfriend were the ones who found the body."

"Uh... well, no, I wouldn't say that," Iris said, feeling her emotions bubbling on the surface. "He's not really my boyfriend."

"A friend then," Prosecutor Edgeworth said, sounding as if he was making a note of what she said.

"No, I wouldn't say that either..."

"Acquaintance?" Edgeworth was starting to sound annoyed. "Stranger?"

"No, no... I guess you could say we were dating. But now he won't call me back. I don't even know what we are..." Iris took a deep breath. "Oh... what would you do if you were in my situation? Do I call him or should I wait until he calls me?"

Edgeworth sounded like he had just released an annoyed breath. "Madam, I'm just a prosecutor. I don't..."

"I know you're a prosecutor. Wouldn't that make it easy for you to be able to read people?" Iris felt as if she was being a tad bit desperate compared to other times, whenever she asked others about her predicament. "Please... help me know what I should do..."

Edgeworth sighed. "Fine. If I were you, I'd call him. Try to remind him that you still exist. Cut off all your existing feelings, too. Feelings are useless, and if he doesn't like you, then you don't have to be dragged down by them."

"Oh, uh, Prosecutor Edgeworth?" Iris paused, waiting for him to respond. He only grunted. She continued, hesitantly. "You probably should stick to your day job. Have you ever loved someone?"

Edgeworth didn't respond for a moment that felt so long. "Miss Hawthorne. You are expected to be at court tomorrow. You will be a witness, and the trial will be at ten in the morning. Please be in the prosecutors' room, ten minutes before the trial." Prosecutor Edgeworth paused. "Oh, and Miss Hawthorne? I will let you know, Mr. Phoenix Wright will be there as well. You will be able to talk to him there. If you need help... I will be happy to be of assistance."