chapter 2.

briar pov
i walked unsteadily out of the room, keeping my legs closed tightly together. i didn't want to risk anything falling out. this was important. "woahh, you don't have to walk like that," the doctor laughed, appearing from around a corner. "oh okay," i laughed slightly.

"and by the way, i know an excellent support group for single moms. if you're interested." "great, great.. maybe we should hug, we might've just made a baby together." he laughed awkwardly, making me feel slightly embarrassed.

he patted my arm with a smile, "good luck." "okay, alright," i said, walking away from him. a huge smile spread across my face. "hii," i said happily to a few pregnant woman who were waiting for an appointment. "hi," they replied blatantly at the same time.

i walked outside, into the pouring rain watching as everyone ran past holding books or bags over their heads. i held my hands out, looking up at the sky, the smile still plastered on my face. i spun around in one circle before looking at a woman running past pushing a stroller. "hii," i said, trying to look at the baby but was rudely interrupted but her running faster, "get away from me!"

i laughed then ran over to the side of the road to get a taxi. i held my hand up in the air and waved it a little, "taxi!" why was it always so hard to get one of these around here? who am i kidding, it's new york. finally one pulled over then i opened the door and jumped in, "hallelujah!" and that was when i noticed someone get in the other door. "oh, excuse me.. this is my cab," i tried to sound as nice as possible through my confusion. "what? you own it? a tall man, with brown hair and really pretty green eyes, asked sarcastically.

"no? but i'm about to rent it." he made a weird face, "if you see someone hail a cab, and the cab pulls up, you can't just jump in the cab and say it's yours." "i didn't see you!" he smirked slightly, "i saw you see me." "ugh," i rolled my eyes then looked at the driver, "sir? sir, excuse me. who saw you first?" the driver picked up a newspaper from the seat next to him and began reading it, ignoring me completely.

i sighed before the man continued, "look, maybe you're not from around here but there's a code. you know? there's certain rules that we try to follo-" "you know what, fine! forget it! i'll get out. but not because you're right. because i'm in a terrific mood and you're ruining it," i cut him off, grabbing my bag then getting out. "no, i'll get out," i heard him say from inside the taxi. we looked at each other from either side of the car and i sighed once again, "now what?" "you tell me- heyyy!" he yelled as the driver drove off. "where are you going? come back!" i said, walking a few steps in the direction he was driving, "ugh, well that was stupid. why'd you get out? you.. stupid head!"

"you said you were in a great mood and that i was ruining it, okay? i felt bad. wait.. did you just call me a stupid head?" he formed a confused look on his face, making me roll my eyes and walk away. how rude! i can't believe someone would have the audacity to blame me for taking their cab then get out when i say they can have it! i was trying to be nice!

i looked around as i stood on the crowded train. yes i decided to take the subway. it was the only option i had left, thanks to that guy. and just as i thought of him, he spoke up from behind me, "how's your great mood now?" "please stop talking to me."

myles pov
i followed the woman i had met earlier up the stairs from the subway, "so why are you in such a good mood anyway?" it may seem weird that i was asking this, but i genuinely wanted to know. not to mention the fact that she was absolutely beautiful. "not that it's your business, but good things are happening to me." "well that's great," i smiled, "i hope it continues." we both stopped walking, her slightly in front of me. she turned around to look at me and smiled softly, "thanks. well, have a nice life. and try not to steal any more cabs."

"yeah you do the same," i replied, watching her walk away. my eyes drifted down to the floor then back up at her, "hey!" she stopped and turned around again, "there's a penny right there, why don't you pick it up? it's good luck." "only if it's heads," she smiled, walking back towards me. she bent down, looking at it to see that it was tails. she flipped it over then stood up, "now somebody else can have good luck. bye." she smiled at me then walked away again.

"bye." i waited for a few moments before bending down to pick up the coin. it was heads, what a coincidence. now i'll have good luck.