twelve

tyler

The end of the season was disappointing. We'd worked so hard only for things to be ended this quickly. I couldn't describe my disappointment. At least now I had time to relax. The remainder of the summer stretched before me. The second I was free to go and do what I wanted, I called Halle. I knew it was a crappy move, only contacting her when I was free. I just hoped she understood. My phone rang in my hand while I paced anxiously.

"Tyler?" Her voice instantly relaxed me.

"Hey." My words came out like liquid, a sigh of relief I didn't know I'd been holding.

"Hey...what's up?"

"What are you doing?"

"Right now? I'm laying on the beach with Emily." The faint cheers of Halle's friend alerted me to her presence.

"Would you want to come up to Chicago?"

"Um...why would I do that?" The uncertainty in her voice was obvious. I cursed at myself.

"I mean...I thought we could hang."

"Going to Chicago to 'hang' is a bit of a hassle." She let loose a light laugh. "Summer camp starts July first here. Until then I'm busy soaking up the sun. You want to see me, you gotta come here." The smug tone in her voice told me she didn't think I'd take the offer.

"Sure. Send me your address and I'll be there." I was completely serious.

"Really?"

"Yep. I want to talk you about how shitty of a person I've been. Face to Face."

"Hold on, hold on. If you're coming here, I'm going to need an apology before I can think about seeing you."

"Fine. I'm sorry I was such a douche and breaking things off so suddenly. I'm sorry I never texted or called. I'm sorry I left you high and dry. I'm sorry I was a bad friend. I want to make things better."

"That'll do." I could hear the amusement in her voice. The giggles from Emily told me that Halle had to be smiling.

"Perfect. I'm getting on a flight immediately. Send me the address. Oh, and Emily? What would you think about Kirby coming down?" Just like that, I ended the call. Of course I'd bring Kirby. He'd been talking nonstop about the curly haired brunette. If anyone was going to gain something from visiting these girls, it would be Kirby.

I went onto the airline website through our team benefits. Tickets were reduced by a decent amount, especially considering the airline's name was all over our rink. My phone buzzed with the address from Halle. I looked at the maps, appreciating where they were. Kiawah Island. At least one hockey player had a home there. I couldn't remember which one. I wondered where Emily and Halle were staying. A quick search revealed a rather large house, two story, that could be rented out. Based on the fact it was unavailable at the moment, I assumed the two girls were renting it.

Two days later, Kirby and I were waiting for the plane. Somehow I was more anxious than Kirby was. Would Halle and I be able to rekindle things right away? I'd been awful to her these past few months. How could I even consider being with her when I wasn't there just because of hockey?