Chapter 11

I stare at Cloud, waiting for him to crack a smile or make some indication that what he said was a joke. He continues to stare at me intensely. 

Right when I begin to believe what he has said, a glowing girl appears in the middle of the cavern. 

"Stop spewing nonsense," she says, "You were not banished for such a valiant reason. You were banished because of a prophecy."

Cloud turns to glare at the newcomer. "What are you doing here, Velica?" he demands.

"My brother, Latif, sent me after you so rudely gave him the slip without a proper fight. If I didn't know you better, I would think you purposely spared him." Velica practically spits the last words out. 

Pain shoots through my body in another wave. To keep myself from screaming, I focus my attention on the newcomer. She is as tall as Cloud and has long blond hair which cascades past her waist. Her face is slim and her skin is tan in color. She is the epitome of beauty which instantly makes me dislike her. 

"It's a good thing you do know him better," I interject. "Actually, I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Are you more likely to go away if Cloud purposely spared your brother or if he tried his best to kill him?" 

Velica turns towards me. Her eyes flash bright purple and then fade to a dull grey color as she looks me over. "My brother was not exaggerating when he said that your Protector can have her own will sometimes," she says softly. 

"Of course she can. She is the most powerful mortal I've ever met. It's why I chose her," Cloud says proudly. 

"It's such a shame that I have vowed to take no sides. I would love to fight your Protector to see how she compares to my unlimited strength." Velica sighs and turns back to Cloud. "Now, back to why I came here. You are never to spare my brother again. It only brings shame on my entire family." She points a finger at Cloud and glares. 

"Lets get out of here. Can you walk?" Pat whispers to me.

"I can't even sit up," I groan.

Pat bends over and gently picks me up. I nearly bite the tip off my tongue in an effort not to scream. 

"You look pale," Pat whispers, carefully making his way along the outer-edge of the cavern.

Tell me something I don't know. 

"Why would I care about your family honor?" Cloud asks.

"You already asked that," Velica replies. Her eyes flash purple again as she advances on Cloud.

"Careful," Cloud warns.

Pat reaches the entrance to the cavern and ducks through. Velica starts shouting at Cloud but I can't make out her words over the increasing distance between us. "We're almost out of here," Pat says after another few minutes. His words sound like they are to assure himself more than me. 

One benefit of my current, ceaseless pain is that it keeps me awake. I'm hyper aware of the sound of Pat's boots on the stone floor and the sound of dripping water farther off. I'm also aware of the way that Pat adjusts his grip on my back and under my legs every so often to try to minimize jostling me.

I'm glad for the darkness because sudden warmth spreads through my chest and into my cheeks. Pat could've escaped on his own, rather than risk his life to bring me along. Especially since I have some "Sworn Protector" bond permanently linking me to Cloud. 

As if merely thinking Cloud's name is enough to summon him, the room we are making our way through is suddenly lit with intense light. Pat turns slightly and I  briefly see Cloud standing on the other side of the room with his arms crossed. Then, Pat turns forwards again and freezes.

Ten paces ahead of us, there is a sudden drop off into an underground river. "Your escape plan was marvelous," Velica says as Pat turns back around.

Pat's eyes are wide and he's trembling. "I almost killed both of us," he says in disbelief.

The way things are going, we are going to be killed soon anyway.  I wish I knew what to say to ease his conscience. Wait, why is that a concern? Ultimately, everyone has to find their own inner-peace over their decisions. 

"Stay away from us," Pat says, standing up taller. He continues to tremble, but takes several steps towards Velica and Cloud. 

Velica's eyes turn slightly purple and her mouth drops open in an 'o'. "Mortals never cease to amaze me. I didn't know they could be brave. Lets test how far his courage goes," Velica says and then flies towards us.

Pat carefully sets me down and jumps out of the way of Velica. Her hands have turned into cat claws that gleam sharply. She turns around quickly. I sit up and manage to grab her ankle as she runs at Pat again. Velica looks down at me, picks me up and tosses me into the underground river.