A Series of Unfortunate Events

"Shane, ...Shane?" The girl calls, but her shouts were muffled by the loud music. She wanders the halls in search of her boyfriend. The name falling from her lips as she opens a white wooden door; behind it, her boyfriend and another female, making out. A silent tear cascades down her cheek as she turns away.

She knew it wasn't right. The bottle of vodka in the cupholder as she swerved to avoid oncoming traffic. She knew that drinking while driving was bad and that someone could get hurt, but she found herself not caring. The willingness inside of her scared her to no end but there was also something, small and powerful, that told her the risk was worth it. She could barely see the sign, to her, black and white blurs but she decided to turn. She wasn't expecting to see a boy on a bike coming right for her.  And she definitely did not expect to be here, in an ambulance, on her way to Evercrest Hospital.

The room was white and it smelled, strangely, of medicine. In the background there was noise, crying, a female voice pleaded to the air, "Wake up please. I'm here for you, just please wake up, baby." She sat up, noting the sudden silence apart from the shift of her bed.  And suddenly the curtain that separated the two beds was drawn. She sees a girl, short with platinum blond hair, walking away from the bed. She can't keep her eyes off the girl, shock and confusion etched into her face. "You're the junkie bitch who ran over my boyfriend? And they've got you in the same room? You should be in the psych ward, you alcoholic." She spat at the girl; the latter just sat there, gaping as the girl left the room. "Sorry about her." Another voice rang and the girl snapped her head to the side. "Your girlfriends pretty harsh." She chuckles in an attempt to lighten the mood. "She's not really my girlfriend." He mumbled, "you know that scene from Harry Potter? It's like that." her brain immediately registers his words and she cracks a small smile. "I thought you were supposed to be in a coma?" She says, his smile fades and he looks at her seriously. "I am, please don't tell anyone, I'm Renjun by the way." She nods quickly, a smile rising to her face.

Throughout the day Renjun took shelter on her bed since she could not use her legs and was unable to walk over to his bed. He sang her songs, and he coloured with her. He treated her as if she was his guardian angel and not the person who ran him over. But by lunch, their fun was ruined as the nurse, Nurse Wallace, entered the room to see Renjun, frozen on the girl's bed.  She stuttered, looking from the chart in her hand and the boy in front of her. "Please don't tell Leslie." He pleaded with the nurse. "Okay..." She says while taking out her lunch box and joining them for a meal.

As the day ends a familiar face walks into the white room. "Dad?" The girl says in disbelief. The man just nods and says "Hey Alysa, how're you doing?" They talk for a while before he looks at her with a sad face. "What's wrong, Pop?" She says gripping his hand. "Your mom, is um, she's gone, sweetie." The words tumble out of his mouth as if they aren't supposed to be there, but in a way, they're not. No man should ever have to tell his daughter that her mom, and his wife, has passed away. In some way, it was unfair.

Renjun was there in a heartbeat. She melted into his arms like butter on a warm stove and Chris just smiled. The girl sobbed until the tears on her face dried up and the males were sure there were no more to come. "She's gone, Junnie, she's gone. My mom. She's gone." She repeated into the teen males chest it was as if those were the only words in her vocabulary and that was the only way she could combine them into a coherent sentence.