one.

THE FAMILY REUNION♥︎

THE FAMILY REUNION
♥︎

The first face that Freya was greeted with once the front door opened was thankfully a friendly one.

Leonie, the smiley, perfect and loving wife of her brother, stood with her arms open wide, smelling like a fresh field of summer flowers. The sight was heartwarming and welcoming that it made Freya ease from her nerves and tensions.

"Look at you, Aussie beach babe! That tan is to die for! Come on in, I just took out a fresh batch of blueberry muffins!"

The aroma of freshly baked goods instantly hit her once they all took a step inside the Porter family home. Cinnamon, blueberries, the whole lot, Leonie had really changed the place. It was a whole new atmosphere- the family albums were stacked neatly on top of a new dresser, they had gotten a new shade for the hall lamp, and the place just seemed more airier. More new.

Along with more pleasant and modern surroundings, the sounds coming from a few rooms away sounded just as pleasant. Freya could hear laughter, so carefree and beautiful. She barely ever heard laughter in the house, especially from her father. He liked things orderly and professional like his workplace, so things wouldn't be so different when returned home.

After insists from Adalyn to make cookies with her youngest aunt, a quick visit to the kitchen, Freya was about to greet her mother, father, sister and her sister's fiancé.

Freya took a look at herself in the hall's oval shaped mirror. Her reflection looked fine, despite the horrible jet lag. Her sun kissed tan never looked better, her azure eyes glimmered out of nerves and her lips were the lightest shade of pink. She looked pretty normal to everyone.

Taking a breath, she took a step into the house's parlour after being introduced by Roman.

Despite the few interior changes to the hallway, nothing major seemed to be done to the family parlour. It still had it's classic sixties style with the family's own modern, and personal, details.
This time however, in the middle of the room stood a circular table with bright flower arrangements, pastel cups and saucers, decorative candles and a scrumptious cake ready to be tucked in to.

Even the people standing in the room looked the same. Freya's parents, Charles and Eleanor, both stood as stoic as could be, nodding politely with a glass of fine red wine in hand. Her mother is a sharp red pantsuit, and her father with a navy one along with a red tie. They surely were dressing up for the occasion.

Freya stood there flabbergasted. It had really sunk in this time. She was home, her parents were here, Roman and Leonie were with Adalyn, and last but not least, Clara. Her fiancé's back was currently facing her, but Freya had to admit that she was still salty. She was her sister, a daughter, too. Damn, she was a best friend to Clara. Even her sister knew that she wasn't the biggest fan of surprises, still she was the last to know about her engagement.