Prologue

Location: Kitchen, Gilani Residence

Time: 4:30 pm, 2 hours before the party

She had to walk fast to match pace with him. Going astray wasn't an option today. There was a lot of work to be done in very little time and it was her responsibility to see that everything runs smoothly. Ali had not stopped talking since the last 5 minutes and had been simultaneously instructing her and the other staff. They kept walking, first out of the kitchen, then across the backyard, until they reached the bottom of the back stairs, when he stopped for a moment and turned to look at her.

"You are still quite new so I must let you know, do not disturb madam when she's talking no matter what the urgency. She talks fast and only says everything once so make sure to get it clear in one go. Do not miss any instruction, even if they seem minute. And look presentable at all times. Okay?"

Kathaleen nodded her head.

"Good. Now follow me."

They climbed the stairs to the second floor where the bedrooms were. Each room had heavy, large 12-foot double doors which only partially boasted the luxury that was inside. As they went around the central corridor, their shoes clicked on the finest quality of Italian marble that were vigorously scrubbed everyday by a group of staff who's job was exclusively limited to keeping the floors shining. Such was the magnificence of the mansion, where Kathaleen had been employed only a few weeks ago. This would be her second meeting with their mistress and her first time entering her grand master bedroom.

Upon reaching the doors to the room, which was even more beautiful than the ones she had seen on her way, Ali took out a card from his pocket and swiped it across the slot in the electronic lock above the door handle. He was the only staff member apart from their madam's personal assistants who had access to her bedroom.

Ali slowly pushed the heavy door and went inside. Kathaleen followed quietly.

The size of the room was perhaps bigger than most middle class houses in Hungary. It had minimal furniture of neutral and grey tones, much like the rest of the house. Large windows that spanned the entire length of the walls from floor to ceiling, and were covered with light chiffon curtains.

Her eyes darted around the room and tried to scan it, but it would take much more than a few seconds to be able to see it properly. She was not at the luxury of sitting there and admiring the room, not today at least. She saw Ali walk towards a door on their left that was slightly ajar. He knocked to seek permission and then gestured Kathaleen to come over quickly.

Kathaleen first poked her head through the gap in the entrance and then gradually took a few steps in. There she saw slender figure dressed in an off-white robe sitting in front of her colossal vintage vanity mirror with her back faced to them. She was typing something on her phone and didn't look up upon their arrival.

"Yes Ali?"

"Ma'am this is Kathaleen. She'll be taking over Irene's duties for the day."

She looked up momentarily to see their reflections in the mirror, and went back to looking at her phone again. Kathaleen felt the pace of her heart increase a little.

"Good. I'm sure you must've told her everything that is required for tonight."

She dropped the phone on the table in front and looked up.