Epilogue

A few months later

Location: Oakwood Villas, Clifton, Cape Town

Time: 9:57 am

Standing on the balcony that looked over a vast expanse of ocean with the color of sparkling sapphire had become a morning ritual. The Atlantic ocean spanned from end to end, as far as the eyes could see. The pristine whites of their house looked immaculate against nature's backdrop. Budapest gave them a taste of the finest European architecture, but it couldn't beat panoramic oceanic views Cape Town had to offer.

Cape Town, a city with a layered personality. Known for both its affluent charm and notorious crimes. A perfect abode for Naushad and Faiza Gilani. Europe had quickly worn off their minds.

"Coffee."

He struck his golden, dimpled smile.

"You know, one good thing about moving here is that I'm being able to have a taste of your coffee after years."

His amusing confession made her laugh.

"Don't start flying too high. I'm only making the coffees because even after giving the maids step by step tutorials on how to make coffee the way we like it, theirs taste terrible. There is something about the way Africans make coffee that doesn't quite sit well with our taste buds."

"Whatever the reason might be," he lifted his mug but stopped it a few inches away from his lips, "I'm satisfied." Then grinned and sipped.

Faiza leaned on the glass balustrade facing her husband, with her mug in her hand. Wind crashed against her skin and blew threw her hair, but instead of tying it back, she let it fly and enjoyed it. The sun was mellow that morning and the breeze, cheerful. After spending 10 years in a city without any ocean surrounding it, she realized how much she had missed the beaches after coming to Cape Town. It reminded her of Mumbai, ever so slightly. In a fond way though.

As the two stood there in calm, tranquil silence, sipping their morning coffee, a phone call broke their reverie. Naushad brought his phone out of his pocked and picked it up.

"Yes?"

He remained silent and waited for the person on the other side to finish talking while Faiza looked at him, her posture disclosing her slight impatience.

"Okay. Do it. I don't want to be dealing with it anymore."

He hung up the call and before she could ask, he dialed someone again and lifted a finger gesturing her to wait for a bit.

"Ali, Varga is closing the deal. Yes, it the German company. I want the money transferred in halves. One, goes to my Swiss and South African accounts. And the other should be wired to the list of orphanages in India. I already sent the names to you. Make sure not a soul gets a hint about it. It should remain anonymous. Varga will take care of the rest as long as he's getting his share. Let me know when it's done. And come by today in the evening, I need to discuss a few things."

"Sure sir." Ali replied on the other end. "The transfers will be made by tonight, don't worry."

When he put the phone down and turned to his wife, he saw the despaired look on her face.