1

The fair girl sat with her hands folded neatly in her lap, a light blue dress adorned her petite figure.

"Octavia, do tell us of your month at school." A man with gelled light brown hair commanded in a low voice.

"Yes, Father. I've been doing well in violin class. I've also learned new conjunctions in my French lesson." The girls parents nodded, eating their food in silence.

"Might I be excused? I'm quite tired." Octavia asked. The girl would be leaving early for school the next morning.

Octavia set off to her room to change into a white nightgown with embroidered flowers. The girl tied up her long hair into a ponytail with a blue ribbon. She let a few caramel locks fall from the ribbon and around her face.

~

It had been three days since the girl left her house. Octavia sat in her dorm looking out the window at the courtyard where kids hung out in the warm sun.

"Let's go for a walk." She spoke up to her best friend Valencia.

"It's reading time." Valencia stated coldly, eyes never straying from her book.

"Okay I'm just going to go read by the fountain." Octavia got no response from her friend so she set off to sit outside.

As soon as she stepped into the sun a small smile rested on her face. The girl stared straight at where she was headed and did not look anywhere else until she arrived there. She sat on the stone bench near the fountain and opened her copy of Beauty and the Beast.

While reading in her peaceful state she could not help but notice the growing amount of noise around her. When the girl finally looked up, she noticed Miles Fairchild, a well respected boy who she'd known for years, playing soccer with his friends.

"Hold on guys! Water break." Miles yelled to his friends who all scattered to grab their drinks. However, instead of getting water, Miles began to walk over to Octavia.

"Make a wish." He told her, handing over a shiny silver coin.

"No thank you." Octavia politely declined, catching Miles off guard.

"I wasn't asking. Come on, make a wish. For me?" He pleaded, noticing the eyes of his friends as he talked to a girl.

"Like what? What would you wish for?"

"For you to just make a wish already." Miles chuckled. Octavia couldn't help but stare into his warm eyes.

"Okay... I wish for.." she was cut off by Miles telling her that wishes were to be kept secret.

"Dude! Hurry up!" The scrawny boy beside her got called over by his friends.

"Um.. later, Octavia!" He cracked a smile and began to run backwards before turning back to his friends.

"What a peculiar individual." The petite girl mumbled, shaking her head slightly before returning to her book.

During dinner, Octavia sat with Valencia. Valencia was a slender girl with short raven hair and skin so pale that blue and purple veins could be seen branching out on her cheeks and forehead.

The two said nothing. Octavia ate quietly and delicately, taking small nibbles as she was taught to. The wooden bench that the students sat at stretched far, every group had their own section.