3

"Welcome to my home." Miles opened the large front doors dramatically, showcasing the very big, very old house.

"You were right, it is beautiful." Octavia touched the century old wood softly, looking up at the spiralling staircase.

"You like it?" Flora stepped in behind them, sneaking between the two to grab some toys.

"Yes, I can understand why you love it so much here, Miles. I have to admit, I thought your taste in music determined that you didn't appreciate beautiful things like this house, but I was wrong I presume." Octavia spoke more than she had the whole day in the sentence to Miles.

The boy cracked a smile before taking her hand and running up the staircase to show her his room.

"Ah, I was right." Octavia laughed, looking at the mess on the floor and posters that were not put on the walls properly in the slightest.

"I like my room though. I have drums!" He laughed, sitting down and randomly hitting drums.

"What do you think?" He smiled goofingly at the proper girl.

"It was certainly... noise."

"Ta-da!" Flora waved her arms in the room with a grand bed and purple flowered wallpaper.

"Is this for me? It's wonderful." Octavia stepped into the room, looking around in awe at the very old knickknacks.

"Hey guys, Mom and Dad are home!" Miles told the two, grabbing Octavias hand and pulling her down the hallways and staircase to meet his parents.

"Miles! You're going to mess up my hair!" She glared at him, fixing her perfect curls.

"You look good." He told her awkwardly, looking at the door.

Octavia came off as proper, kind, and polite to the Fairchild's. The family had dinner together, including their house keeper. After dinner Miles showed Octavia around the entire house. Needless to say, the tour took a very long time.

"Let's go to the stables Miles!" Flora cheered, hoping her brother would agree.

"Yeah, I want Octavia to meet the horses. Maybe Quint will be there too." Octavia gave Miles a questioning look.

"Quint takes care of the horses and teaches us how to ride. He's my friend." Octavia nodded at Miles, slightly afraid to go so far from the house when the sky was turning dark.

"Here, I'll keep you warm." Miles told Octavia awkwardly, starching an arm around her shivering body. A dress was no good on the cool fall night.

At the stables however, Octavia did not get any warmer. Something felt off about it all. The horses seemed afraid and lonely.

"You're home." A rough voice caused the girl to jump in Miles' arms.

"Quint." Miles smiled softly, giving the man a hug. An unkept beard ran across Quints jaw and long black great hair hung into his black eyes. Cold black eyes.

"Who is this?" Quint asked, staring at Octavia in an almost angry way.

"I'm Octavia Fidelis. I go to school with Miles, we are friends." Octavia spoke up staring right back at Quint with the same glaring look.

"Tomorrow we'll come out and ride the horses. For now, I think we should all get to bed." Miles told them, sensing the mood of the both of them.

"Miles?" Octavia stepped into his room, pushing the door open slightly. The messy room was dark and cold - a window open blowing wind in.

The girl stepped over Miles' things and closed the window, looking around for her friend. She looked in the cluttered bathroom and down the halls but there was no sign of Miles.

Octavia reached Floras room and opened the door silently. When her green eyes glanced around the dark room, only a sleeping girl was to be found in her bed, curled up.

Octavia climbed into her own bed, giving up until morning. She knew miles would be okay, it was his house after all. Maybe he was just speaking with his parents in the east wing.

Creaking of floorboard, muffled voices, one shushing the other, yelling and laughing. Behind Octavias closed bedroom door, all of these things could be heard. The girl listened to a bang as if someone had fallen. She rushed towards her door, turning the handle and opening it carefully.

Miles sat on the floor, arms up with a shadowy figure trying to lift him.

"But I'm having fun!" Miles whined far too loudly for this hour.

"Hello?" Octavia asked, stating her presence. The figure dropped Miles' arms and turned to her. His face was illuminated in the moonlight shining through a grand window.

"Quint, what is going on?" Octavia asked hurriedly, suddenly waves of worry washed over her as she looked at miles. He was most certainly not being himself.

"Miles! Miles are you okay?" She whispered, bending down to his level.

"Shut up, we need to get him to bed. If his parents see-"

"What have you done to him? He-he looks bad." Octavia whispered, green eyes filling as she watched Miles look up at her sloppily.

"He's just drunk. Go back to bed if you'll be no help." Quint ordered her, pointing angrily at her bedroom door.

"But-"

"Go. He doesn't need you."

Miles woke up to sunlight in his warm brown eyes. The boy sat up quickly, having never remembered falling asleep, but immediately regretted the fast action seeing as he felt very ill.

"You're awake." Octavia walked into his room dressed in a beautiful maroon and white dress. She held a tray with some toast, juice, and a flower that she'd picked from the grass.

"Is that for me?" He asked, squinting up at her as he felt his headache.

"Yes. I felt bad seeing you like that last night." Octavia explained, sitting next to his and placing the tray down.

"I'm sorry you had to see me like that. Quint and I, we do it often. I know it's not good, but sometimes I just need a break from my life." He told her, carefully taking a small bite of toast.

"Could we stay in today? Later tonight we could go watch the stars, how about that?" Miles offered, smiling softly at the girl before him.

"I'd like that. Can we look at the fairytales today?" Octavia asked, excitement laced in her voice.

"Of course."