Chapter Forty-One

"Mom!" I exclaimed, sprinting across the room toward her. She lifted her head up heavily, her eyelids barely opening. A faint smile played on her face. My father and the boy I assumed was my brother based on rationality looked up at the sound of my voice.

"You found me," she breathed, relief filling her voice. I clasped her hand in mine, not wanting to touch any of her injuries and worsen them. The stench rose while I was so close to them.

"I'm gonna get you three to a healer. You're gonna be okay," I said, imagining the chains that bound them unraveling and freeing them.

As the same thing played out in front of me, I surged forward and grabbed my mother as she nearly collapsed onto the ground. My father and brother seemed to be doing better with less blood coming off of them. It seemed almost as if whoever had been holding them here-most likely Grey-had gone easier on the two of them.

"You're one of them?" my brother asked in disgust as he stared at me with wide eyes. By 'them' I assumed he meant wizards.

"Not all wizards are bad. We'll figure this all out, but for now you three need to get healed. We're wasting time!" I exclaimed as my mother coughed, putting all her weight in my arms.

I imagined the four of us appearing in the room I was just in for healing and raised my right hand. Within seconds we were standing in the cleansed room.

"I need a healer!" I screamed just as Bruno had, and then walked my mother over to one of the pristine tables. She slumped down onto it immediately. Her eyes were shut. I looked to her side where she was clutching and there was a large wound as if someone had taken a knife and gouged out a semi-circle from her skin. Blood seeped out of it.

No healer seemed to be coming to my aid, so I imagined the blood clotting and a bandage covering the wound.

My father and brother stood next to the table, injured and scared, watching me. Just as the bandage appeared, a healer busted into the room, sprinting toward me.

"You need to leave now. You're not aloud to be in here for the healing process. They'll be in good care," the healer said, quickly whisking me out of the room, seemingly annoyed at the fact that I was here.

Outside of the room, I was in a long, empty, white-washed hallway. In the back of my mind, I wondered why there wasn't any healers in this hallway.

After a moment of thinking, I was unable to come up with anything useful I could do here, so I imagined myself appearing in the planning room and raised my right hand. Hopefully, Bruno would still be there and not somewhere else in the Base. I needed to talk to him about this.

When I was standing in the planning room, Bruno was turning into the hallway.

"Bruno, we need to talk," I exclaimed as I ran after him.

He turned around, clearly startled.

"What're you doing here? I thought you went to your quarters," he said. There was something in his voice that sounded off. It sounded almost like . . . worry. As if he was worried I found something. I knew that tone of voice all too well; it was one I heard from my very own father before he left with my brother. It felt as if he was always hiding something from me, even at a young age.

"You know something, don't you?" I asked, taking a step toward him and tilting my head. I wasn't in the mood for games, or deceiving.

"I, um, found your family locked up here in the Base the other day," Bruno confessed, sorrow filling his face. I didn't believe that false misery for one moment.

"You just stumbled upon them and then closed the door and kept going? Why didn't you tell anyone or do something about it? Who are you really working for?" I asked, running a hand through my hair and leaning into the wall. Was there anyone that I could trust anymore? It seemed like there wasn't beside Vanessa.