ONE

I woke up and stared at the ceiling, contemplating how my day would go.  I had just had a peculiar dream, but I was already forgetting the details.  It had something to do with a girl, if my memory was correct.

It took me a bit, but I finally dragged myself out of bed and began to get ready.  Today, I had multiple tests and I couldn't afford to make them up.

Living in the city makes you constantly aware of your surroundings, especially if you are a girl in high school.  You never know when someone might come up from any direction and try to rob you or worse.  As I walked to school, I didn't let down my guard until I could see my school gates in the distance.

"YAH!!!"  I heard from behind as I was suddenly jumped on.  I didn't jump, only turned my head to see my friend Soojin next to me.  "Aigoo, why don't you ever scare?"

"I don't know, maybe I'm just too amazing," I sad as I posed with a peace sign.

"Sure, that's the reason."  I looked behind Soojin to see where the sarcastic comment had come from and rolled my eyes as I saw Minho.

"Don't you have anything better to do than going around and insulting people?"

"Not at all, I live just to annoy you."  He winked as he said that, causing me to roll my eyes again.

"Come on, or we'll be late," I warned and we all hurried inside.

We showed security our IDs and split up to our first hour classes.  Lucky me, I had science.  The only friends I had in this class were me, myself, and I.

As I entered the room, I quickly took a seat, alone.  Our desks were arranged in pairs and my partner was the empty desk.  Today we were choosing lab partners and I was saddened by the thought of getting the short end of the stick yet again.  Last time, I was with a boy who didn't know what he was doing and constantly talked to other groups instead of working.  I always had to do everything and I didn't want that to happen again.

The first bell rang, causing more students to come into class and find their seats, amid much chatter.  I was ignored until the chair next to me was suddenly pulled back, disrupting my peace.  Someone sat in the chair, causing me to look over in shock to see who the culprit was.  Sitting in the seat was a boy I had never seen before.  I usually was quite observant, so I figured he wasn't supposed to be here.

"I'm sorry, but I think you have the wrong class," I told him as he focused on me.

"Oh."  He looked very lost and I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.  "Could you please help me find my class?"

"Um, sure."

He pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket and showed it to me.  "I need to get to Ms. Choi's first hour science class."

I looked at his schedule and sure enough, the first class was Ms. Choi's.

"This is the right class.  I guess I was mistaken, so I'm sorry about that.  But I haven't seen you in here before and no one ever willingly sits next to me."

"I'm a new transfer student, so that may explain a lot.  As to why I sat next to you, it was the only spot open.  And you just looked so sad and lonely, so I figured we both could use a new friend."  He smiled and stuck out his hand, "My name is Shownu, it's nice to meet you."