Chapter 2

'...' Thoughts
"..." Speech
... Narration

Narrator's POV~

With the two standing outside the gym entrance, they were in deep thought as they thought of their own experiences in the club and how much it meant to the middle blocker and Ace. The slamming of the balls onto the wooden floor was the sound that was the clearest sound they have heard in a while.

(M/N) stood in silence and walked off to the side, looking at his hands, remembering what the calloused roughs were like and how much he wanted to go back, but, many of his insecurities held him from going forwards.

'If I go back, I'll just be another burden to them again. Plus, they have new members that they can replace me with. I'm not good enough for this team. I don't belong here anymore.'

"All right! Our fast attack are gonna count in the Cat fight too!" Hinata exclaimed.

The tall male along with the Ace perked up when Hinata said those words.

'Cat? They have a game with Nekoma?' Asahi thought.

'A match with Nekoma? That's new. Noya probably will help the win along with the other third years... *Sigh* I really hope that'll help.' (M/N) looked down.

"It's a practice game on the last day of Golden week." Daichi's voice called out, startling the two out of their thoughts.

They looked over and saw the captain, scaring them and gaining blue marks on their face.

"U-ugh!"

"E-eek!"

"Hey! What do you two mean? Hey don't run away!"

Asahi and (M/N) freaked out and started moving away from Daichi. Asahi started climbing the wall to get over it and (M/N) hung onto the school doors.

"But you can be scary when you're mad." The two third years said together.

"I'm not mad this second!"

They got down from where they were climbing on and listened to the captain, slightly still terrified.

"To us, Nekoma was like some kind of old folktale at the time. There's no fateful connection in the current generation," Daichi started, "But now, it's the Cat VS Crow Dumpster Showdown! Now that we have our first rematch with the Neko team I've heard so much about, I'm feeling kind of psyched."

"I'm too ashamed to face Suga and Nishinoya." Asahi said sadly.

"I... can't face the team... not yet... not with how much I've brought them down..."

"I've gotta hand it to you two. You guys sure are timid for such big guys." Daichi said as he patted the shoulder of the two taller males. "You're the polar opposite of Nishinoya!"

"Would it kill you to sugarcoat it just a little?"

"You didn't have to put it that way Daichi..."

"Don't worry! Suga and Nishinoya don't have a problem with it. And the team didn't get brought down because of you (M/N)! Unlike you guys, they're open minded."

"Aren't you supposed to be nicer than that?"

"You could tone it down, just a bit, you know Daichi..."

"You're the exception because you two are so timid." Daichi said as he started walking back to the gym.

"E-eh....."

"Stuff like skipping out on club activities and feeling awkward about showing up... It doesn't matter. If you still love volleyball, that's an ample reason to come back."