Predator and prey.

A/N Hey, in advance, I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who's been following this story, and to everyone's kind words! This story has really been a test to see if I could commit to something lmao, and your guys' comments and votes have really helped keep me going on this! Thank you!

She woke up with a feeble push against her shoulder, and opened her eyes, seeing a grotesque, oily creature crouching way too close for comfort. Judging by the drool hanging in webs around its mouth, she guessed it must've been the creature who had knocked her out back in that pitch-black room, unfondly remembering it had drooled on her then, too. Also, she realized, she could actually see. Which meant light. Although it was unfortunately artificial rather than from any window (which could've meant escape - as long as it wasn't sunlight, of course). Coming out of her haze of unconsciousness, she saw she was in a domed room, with a raised platform in the center that held a massive transparent basin filled half-way with white liquid - which seemed to be the source of light.

"She is coming," the creature next to her hissed, crawling on all fours up to the basin then across the room, where Marceline noticed Doctor Chienne and a woman with dark blue skin was chained to the wall - and pulling her wrists, she realized she too had been chained to the wall. Great, her luck just seemed to be getting worse and worse. This felt like real metal too, rather than the flimsy ropes she had broken out of previously. With a grunt, she pulled again and paused as the creature rapidly returned to her side and started pawing at her wrists.

"Stop doing that!" She hissed, using her thankfully unchained legs to kick it away. It crawled away, sparing her a glare over its shoulder, and she bared her fangs, making it quickly disappear up to a recess in the ceiling. She turned her attention back to the basin in front of her and wondered how it could be glowing like that - and what it even was. Her attention was quickly drawn away though as she heard the door open and froze when saw who had entered.

"Doctor Skurk?" The words left her mouth before she even had time to process what she was seeing. She felt like all the breath had left her momentarily as she watched Skurk close the door behind her.

Skurk looked over at her and grinned with a clap of her hands, an unfamiliar expression and gesture on someone who was usually so placid. "Ah, you're awake! This will be easier for me then."

"You're the one seriously behind all of this?" She had had her suspicions, of course, but she didn't actually expect to be right about it.

Skurk ignored her question and walked up to the basin, swirling a finger into the basin and taking a deep breath. She then cupped her hands and let the liquid pool into her hands, and bent her head down, taking a long pull from it. A moment later, she stood back up, looking surprisingly rejuvenated, and sharply met Marceline's confused stare. Ignoring the other two in the room, Skurk crossed the room with a look of intent that once again made Marceline feel like she was about to be dinner.

"Hey - hey, listen, whatever you're doing - I'm not even technically alive, trust me when I say I'm the expert of not tasting good." She laughed nervously, and looked around the room, trying to see if she could find any other exits save for the door Skurk had entered through. A vent somewhere, maybe? "I mean have you even eaten a vampire before? Trust me lady, we just taste like the color red."

Skurk bent down in front of her and placed a steadying hand on her shoulder. "Escape is futile, child. Stop trying to look for a way out."