Chapter 5

This chapter will be a tad longer than the previous ones because I actually planned this chapter out rather than just writing off the top of my head.

---

He didn't tell his parents about the black boy because he thought his father would get mad. His father told him that if he every caught him talk to a nigger then he would disown him on the spot. The boy knew he was not bluffing.

A while back word got around that some black woman in Montgomery had refused to give up her seat. They heard it on the radio while they where driving from the market and the father made an off color comment about how she was "just a stupid nigger bitch, who needs to learn her place."

The boy asked why she would have to give up her seat if she got to it first and that it wad unfair for her to have to give it up. He said that the white man could have just stood.

The father pulled over to the side of the road and began to beat the kid. He told him to never backtalk him again and if he did he would release the wrath of God on him. The boy never tested him any further. He just kept his secrets to himself. Locked inside a mental barrier which he never opened and which would remain in seclusion from his father and his father's oppressive prejudices. 

He couldn't imagine his current situation yielding a better result so when he walked through the door with his face all swollen from where the black boy had wailed on him he told his mother that he got into a fight at school and that he had detention on Saturday. His father would never call the school to confirm this because his father didn't think too highly of education. There was a chance his mother would call but it wasn't likely. Not in the least.

They ate dinner and listened to a man on the radio. The man on the radio was interviewing some other man.

"We have with us here Mr.-"

"Don't do that!"

"Do what?"

"Say my name."

"How are people going to know who you are?"

"People know who I am. Who are you? Ain't nobody know you. People know me."

"Well I must say there are a lot of people dying to know whats been going on with you."

"Yeah? Well I know twice that number getting tortured to death just dying to know what's going on with you."

"What makes you-"

"Hey do you got any records we can play?"

"Yeah, but like I was-"

"Where at?"

"In back somewhere. But, like I was-"

"What kind of records do you have?"

"A lot. But-"

"Like who?"

This continued to on for a while and the two men rambled back and forth for about an hour but his father told him that it was time for bed. He shut the radio off and went to his bedroom.