THIRTY NINE

The Mind Flayer

The group reached the edge of the woods, stopping just on top of a hill

The group reached the edge of the woods, stopping just on top of a hill. The screeching was still ever present. "I don't see him." Dustin commented.

Lucas held his binoculars up to his eyes to get a closer look. "It's the lab. They were going back home."

***

Back in the lab, the group were going over a plan- an escape plan. Cat leaned her head on the wall as Owens went over a map with them. "Look, this is us, and this is the nearest exit." He pointed out with a pen, circling things on the paper. "But even if we somehow make it there, there's no way out."

"What do you mean, 'there's no way out'?" Cat asked, folding her arms over her chest. "Are you saying that we're trapped in here."

"I'm just saying that the locks are fail secure." The doctor explained.

"Fail secure?" Joyce asked.

"What the hell does that mean?" Cat asked, an eyebrow raised in a questioning manner.

Owens turned around to face the group. "If there's a power outage, the building goes on full lockdown."

"Can it be unlocked remotely?" Bob asked.

"With a computer, sure, but somebody's gotta reset the breakers."

"Where are the breakers?" Hopper asked the doctor.

"Breakers are in the basement, three floors down."

Hopper made his way to the door.

"Hey, where are you going?"

"To reset the breakers."

"Okay, then what?" Bob asked him.

"Then we get the hell out of here."

"No, then the power comes back on." Bob informed him. "If you wanna unlock the doors, you have to completely reboot the computer system, and then override the security codes with a manual input."

"Fine, how do I do that?"

"You can't. Not unless you know BASIC."

"I don't know what that means."

"Well, then it looks like you're screwed." Cat muttered.

"It's a computer programming language." Mike told the chief.

"Teach it to me."

Bob scoffed. "Shall I teach you French while I'm at it, Jim? How about a little German?" He turned to Owens. "How about you, Doc? You speak BASIC?"

"No." Owens sighed.

"Okay, I got this." He turned back to Hopper. "I got this."

"No. Bob." Joyce cried.