Chapter 3: Darkness of the Mind

We entered the school to see the whole school of kids clapping and cheering.

'Yeah! X-Men!' There were more choruses of cheers, shouting and clapping before my husband Charles wheeled into the room. Charlene was behind him and the twins were hanging onto her skirts. I could just feel them waiting for the opportunity to hug me. And I was just as eager to hug and kiss them.

'That's enough, boys and girls. Listen up.' The cheering and clapping died down and we all fixed our attention on my husband. Catching my eye and smiling at me, he went on. 'The X-Men have today done an incredibly brave thing. They've once again proved to humanity exactly why they need us. People like yourselves. The President sends his regards as well as his heartfelt gratitude. And as for myself, I've never been prouder. Enjoy yourselves. You certainly deserve it. In fact, you all do. No more class for the end of the day.' The kids kept clapping and cheering and when they had all dispersed, Charles rolled up to Jean and I.

'Jean? Adelaide? You two gave us quite a scare up there. How are you feeling?'

'Actually, we're fine,' we replied in unison. Smirking at Jean, I turned my attention back to Charles.

'Hank?'

'Yeah?'

'Will you take a look at Jean and my wife? Standard medical, for anyone injured in the field.'

'Charles, I'm fine,' I protested.

'Go with him.' I nodded my assent, kissed Charles on the lips and began to go with Jean and Hank, when I heard Charlene call out.

'Mother!' I turned and Hank came to me.

'I'll meet you downstairs, Adelaide.'

'Thanks, Hank.' Charles was still there and Raven was with him. I swept the twins up in my arms and hugged and kissed them eagerly, happy that I was home and unhurt... mostly. When I took Charlene into my embrace and kissed her on the forehead, Charlene spoke.

'Daddy was right. You do need to see Hank.'

'And why is that, Charlene?'

'Daddy, she feels hot.' He looked at me and wheeled his chair closer to me, then took my hand.

'You do feel hot. Go to Hank. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to work out something about your condition.' I kissed Charles again, at which I got a audible 'ewww!' from the twins and went down to see Hank.

At the same time...

Charles wheeled into his office, with Raven following him and shutting the doors to the office, so as to talk privately with Charles. Pouring himself a glass of whiskey, he turned the back of the wheelchair to her and stared out the window.

'You know, the President was almost sending his condolences. Your wife, not to mention Jean, should be dead.'

'Thankfully, they're not.'

'You put us in danger, Charles. You put your wife in danger. You put those kids in danger.'

'They're not kids anymore, Raven. And I care about their safety just as much as you do. And I care about my wife's safety as well. She didn't have to go, but she did because it was her duty to.'

'Are you sure about that? Because we're taking bigger and bigger risks. Please, tell me it's not your ego. Being on the cover of magazines, getting a medal from the President... you like it, don't you?'

'As opposed to being hunted and despised, well, actually, I do. It's all just a means to an end, Raven.'

'What end is that? Your wife dying? Our people dying?'