Chapter 7: Aliens vs Mutants

'My kid used to be a fan,' one of the soldiers said as he walked past Kurt, who had a collar on to neutralise his powers. Suddenly, I awoke and in my panic, I nearly banged my head on the other side of the cell block that I was sitting in. My mind ran wild as I realised I couldn't use my powers. I had one of those stupid collars on that they use to block one's powers. I hated those. In response to my banging around, two soldiers pointed guns at me.

'Easy, boys. I'm not gonna do a thing,' I spoke with no small amount of sass in my voice. They walked away. 'And next time don't point a bloody gun at my head, you idiots!' Charles looked at me. I looked around to see all my friends and family in their power-restraining collars. Seeing Erik, I tried to smile. He spoke.

'I thought I'd lost you. You're bleeding.'

'From where?'

'The back of your head. Once we get out of this mess, we'll patch up the injury.' He tried to smile, but I felt the throbbing in my head grow exceedingly now.

'It does hurt.' Then I heard Charles speak to Hank.

'Raven had the right of it. Jean was never the villain. I was. I should never have lied to her. I was wrong. But... this power inside of her. I never put that there. I would never do anything intentionally to hurt her. That isn't me. This... is not Jean. We can still save her. She's still Jean inside.' Charles was right. She still was Jean on the inside. I hadn't known much since I left for Genosha. I was dragging myself needlessly into this, all for revenge. Then we heard a voice over the intercom.

'We're ten miles out from the Mutant Containment Centre. Prepare for prisoner transfer.' Great, I thought. We're going to mutant jail. Lovely.

'What exactly is controlling her?' Scott asked.

'I don't know,' Charles replied. But this woman... this thing has had a taste of that power. And she'll be coming back for more... perhaps coming back for Adelaide as well.'

'No,' I spoke. 'I felt all of the power go out of me. I might have lost a great deal of my strength, no thanks to that devil woman. I don't know if I've lost any of my mutations.'

'How are you not dead?' Erik asked.

'I don't know.'

'But she'll be coming back for Jean.'

'Good. Let her,' Erik snapped. Obviously he was still intent on revenge. 'And I promise you the killing will not end there.'

'That's not what Raven would have wanted,' Charles said. 'You know that. You both do.' All of a sudden, there was a buzz of action.

'Shit. They're here,' I said. 'They're here for Jean.' I tried to tug on my bindings, but it did no good. Then we heard one of the soldiers.

'All right, you two. Come with me. The rest of you, stay here, guard the prisoners!'

'Don't be fools!' Erik yelled. 'You need our help.'

'Lock it down now!' we heard another soldier say.

'Goddamn muties, come here to spring ya!' another soldier taunted.

'They're not mutants!' Charles yelled.

'Free us! You're going to need our help!' I yelled to the soldiers. They were unwavering in their commitment to free us. 'We're the only chance you have.'

'Keep your mouth shut!' said the soldier, putting a gun to my head. I closed my eyes and breathed. When he took the gun from my head, I saw Erik. His eyes were blazing in anger.