The Dream Sequence

Pan's POV

At the shallows, her feet rested still against the surface, the quiet waves flooding past, keeping them from sinking to the depths below. There wasn't a single misgiving thought that filled her mind as she carried on walking, the tides brimming to life as they moved outwards, pulling the calm mirrored water away from each step she took. Her path had been set before her, guiding her towards the sinking sun and next for the open frameless door that would become the entrance into her mind; creating the beginning of the dream sequence.

The closer she ventured the less her purpose remained here in the gateway. I could sense it was coming to an end. I could feel everything changing the further we were apart. The soft rumbling of thunder brought my attention above and I tilted my head to the sky. I watched as scattered clouds began to wash away, their existence stripped from a field of stars as the comets wiped them out, their flying paths neglected, causing the silvery-blue balls of light to fall from the sky. They were small from afar, no more than stars themselves until the masses of space plummeted down leaving the undisturbed seas to erupt in waves, tearing up the calm waters.

The arrays of soft pastel hues had darkened, spreading quickly from my sight above, draining the light from the sky as dusk was quickly brought to midnight. Winds reacted in an uproar, carrying through earthy scents from the jungle out to the beach, lifting the finest grains of sand in swirling dust paths to the water's edge. Just as quickly, as though the trees behind me had inhaled a short breath, the howling and rustling that rushed past the branches were silenced at once. I looked over my shoulder to see it was all gone, nothing but endless darkness carrying seamlessly to the skies.

I could feel it, every little part of the gateway disappearing as though it were never here in the first place. It's for no more than a speck of time that the gateway remains open making the journey to sundown no easy path. Those that wish to proceed to the door will not be able to return. This world makes sure of it, a simple demand that leaves those in it defenceless. The power it holds is forged straight from the island. No depths of Neverland were left untouched by magic but this kind, like many others, was more than unforgiving. It was proven the moment I had taken us through as everything had broken down. I could sense all she could, especially here. Here she was vulnerable and in there...past the gateway, she will be most vulnerable to herself.

I knew much of this place but even with the magic I hold, there was only so little I could do. I brought her here, becoming the bridge that links her conscious state to the gateway, but once she has set foot here, her path is destined forward with one single intent, as shared with the gateway itself; to bring those who enter to the beginning of the dream sequence. There was no in-between, the interconnection between one's reality and their own mind is kept severed, but here, in Neverland, there is no breakage between the two. They are connected, passing through each other endlessly. Only here can someone travel within the two.

The only problem was she couldn't see it. She has always been blinded in a way, too stubborn to understand what has been in front of her. That's why this path chose Neverland, depicting the only reality she can see now...but it's not the island I know. It was the same universe, the same island, every living thing left exactly as it is, but there were smaller differences only I could see, ones she has changed without knowing. What was an island run with magic inside every part of it was now plain, the trees still, the colours and sounds faltering. It has been ridden of not only what she believes to be in her head but also the acceptance of its very existence. No one has ever been able to do that. They see this world, they see me...and they believe instantly, without question.

That's why I hadn't expected it...any of it until we were here together. Standing beside her was enough for all of it to come back, all that she had denied me from the end of that test. She had fought for so long to keep me away, build this barrier to prevented me from seeing all that I would for any of the other boys. Their thoughts to some extent were clear to me. Their pain, desires, hatred...I sensed all of it. For those minds that were less complicated, it was easy to persuade or manipulate them to follow me and the rules set of the island. But for her, it was different. She's becoming unpredictable. That's why this has to work.