Chapter 13

Mack arrived at the hospital the next morning, your family had finally been given clearance to visit, so he stopped in to give you your transfer documents and check on your sister. You hugged the older man and smiled, "Thank you."

You said to him, he nodded, "Of course, kiddo. You're where you belong."

Then, he was gone, and you looked over at your unconscious sister; the heart monitor beeped beside the bed and you held her limp hand. Her skin was cold to the touch and pale, but, you could feel her pulse. That's all that mattered to you, you knew her heart was beating, this meant she was alive. There was a quiet knock on the door to the hospital suite and you looked over at the door before gently releasing your sister's hand and walking outside, "Hey, (Y/N)."

"Hey Spence, what's up?"

"You need to get out of the hospital, let's go get some food before we have to fly back to DC."

You sent a look back into the suite and chewed on the inside of your bottom lip decisively, "Um... okay."

You nodded and followed him out, you texted your mom to let her know you were leaving the hospital, she responded but telling you that Marcus and your other brother Matthias were on their way. Marcus and Matthias had never gotten along, but every time there was a tragedy in the family they became best friends. Really, when you thought about it, nobody really got along with Marcus. 

He was a dick.

"So, where are we going?"

You asked Spencer when you guys got out to the FBI vehicle, he looked down at you, "Well, you know this town best, you tell me."

You smiled, "Well, truth be known, all of the restaurants around here suck, so I hope you don't mind a short drive."

He smiled too, "Not at all."

...

When you guys got to a small diner just outside of town, Spencer held the door open for you and you thanked him, "Such a gentleman, Doctor Reid."

He chuckled and shook his head at you, following you to a corner booth; when you both sat down you picked up your menus, "So, what do you recommend?"

You scooted closer to him to point to what food you thought was best, he put an arm on the top of the bench behind your head, "Well, all of their chicken is crazy good, but if you're more into veggies then they have this cashew salad that I would eat everyday of my life if I still lived here."

Spencer's eyes were on you while you spoke and he took a deep, quiet breath, thinking back to what you had told him the day before. You just have to trust yourself to feel. He took another deep breath and looked down at you, then gently grabbed your chin and turned your head to face him, and finally, he leaned in and kissed you. Your eyes widened and you slowly started kissing back when you fully processed what was happening, when you closed your eyes you felt him smile against your lips before deepening the kiss a little.

You placed a hand on the side of his face and smiled yourself, slowly pulling away, "That was... nice."

You breathed out when he rested his forehead against yours, eyes still closed, "Yeah." 

He agreed, smiling at you when you opened your eyes, "What brought that on?"

You asked, smiling more; he took a deep breath, "That was me not being afraid to feel."

Your face turned red and you pecked his lips softly, "So, food?"

He laughed and nodded, "Of course."

You ordered that salad you had been talking about and Spencer had gotten the same, "So, now that Malcolm is locked up, will you be visiting home more often?"

You thought deeply as you chewed, then answered after swallowing, "Maybe, but I'm honestly considering moving my family to DC, there are way too many bad memories to associate with this place."

He nodded, then smiled at you, "I bet they would be happy to be closer to you."

"I would be happy to closer to them." You said after finishing your food, you took a drink of your water, "Home is where the heart is, you know?"

He smiled and nodded, "I know exactly what you mean."

...

When you both went back to the hospital to meet up with the rest of the team, Rossi ran up to you, "(Y/N), Vicky is awake."

Your eyes shot wide open and you ran back to her hospital suite, desperate to see your older sister, "Vic?"

You asked, getting to the door way and panting heavily as you leaned against the door jam; her eyes left your mom and brothers, then landed on you. Her eyes grew wide, "(Y/N)?"

Your face broke out in a smile and you rushed to her side, "Oh thank God you're okay, I was so scared. I'm so sorry I haven't been back to see you, I'm so sorry I haven't been here for you, I'm-"

"Shut the fuck up." She snapped, shaking her head at you, "Don't you dare apologize, I'm the one who told you to leave and stay away because Malcolm was-and is-a creep.''

You took a deep breath and nodded slowly, she was right; logically you had absolutely nothing to apologize for, but you still couldn't help but feel apologetic. God, you were terrified that you were going to lose her without even saying good-bye. You were terrified that you would never be able to tell her that you love her again. You took a deep breath, "I love you so much, Vicky."

"I love you too, fucker."

A laugh left you and you shook your head.

"Courage isn't having the strength to go on--it's when you don't have strength." ~Napoleon Bonaparte

((If you enjoy my writing, please consider donating to my Ko-fi and sharing! I really appreciate the ongoing support <3

https://ko-fi.com/etherealblxssxm ))