Chapter 15

“You’re driving fast.” 

We were just a few minutes out of the city, and Andy was speeding along back to the castle. My pastry was long finished, and my hair whipping along in the wind. 

“They’ll follow us.” He said simply, changing the cars gear and putting on an extra burst of speed.

I nodded in understanding, and leaned back in my chair; staring into the horizon. It was breathtaking. The sun was slowly going down, giving everything a warm orange glow. I sighed in contentment. What a pleasure it must be to live somewhere as beautiful as this. 

“We should stop somewhere to watch the sunset.” 

“We can watch it back home,” Andy remarked casually. 

“That’s boring. The view isn’t as great as this.” I said, gesturing to the scenery around me. 

Andy sighed patiently, “Stevie, I told you we are most likely being followed, and you want to stop on the side of the road to watch the sunset?” 

I grumbled back, crossing my arms and turning back to the surroundings. Andy merely smiled at my reaction. 

We drove in comfortable silence for a while; until I suddenly found myself being jerked harshly to the right. I frowned up at Andy who was straightening the wheel back. 

“And now?” I asked. This was clearly not the way back to the castle. The new road we were on now, wasn’t even tarred. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed it if it wasn’t for the fact we were now crashing along it.

“Well, I figured they’d expect us to go back to the castle. They’ll probably head there without thinking. So if I took a little off road detour, to watch the sunset with my best friend, it would most likely work to our benefit.” Andy grinned at me, clearly pleased with himself. 

I cheered back, “the man with the plan!”  

Andy drove until he was sure no one could see us from the main road, before pulling over. He pulled the keys out the ignition and hopped out.

“Where are you going?” I asked, looking around if there was some seat type thing. The area was pretty clear of most things, it was just grass and trees. None of which looked more comfortable than a car. 

“Well,” he said, coming over to my door and opening it for me, “since I’m already being a bit of a rebel, I decided to break another one of my rules...” 

With that he walked casually to the front of his car, and hopped up onto the bonnet. He stretched out, using the windshield as a backrest. 

I laughed, and hopped up next to him, “wow Andy, this is quite rebellious. There’s no turning back now, you’ve crossed over to the dark side.” 

He nudged me playfully, knowing I was teasing. We both stared ahead at the sunset, lying side by side, a small tingling in the side of my body where his touched mine. 

“Do you miss home?” Andy asked suddenly.  

I glanced at him, noticing the sincerity and concern in his face.

“Right now, after today; watching this sunset here with you- its the furthest thing from my mind.” I paused, before adding, “I love it here. I love your country.” 

I felt Andy gaze on me, “thank you.”

“There’s nothing to thank me for.” I replied genuinely.  

I felt his gaze subside, as he turned it back to the front. A quick glance told me he was deep in thought.

Hoping to lighten the mood I asked, “so whats this ball thingy that Issie was telling me about?”