Chapter 24

Zethora's POV

"Z! We need to talk." I snap my head up to Coach Bridges as he walks over to me. I jump down off the beam and looking to him with a raised eyebrow tilting my head. 

He takes a deep exhale before showing me his phone. I take it looking at a picture lighting up his screen. My eyes widen recognizing the people in the photo. It's Maddox with his arms wrapped around my legs lifting me up. It was yesterday at the Open Field Day event. It must have been one of the family members who took it. The headline reads  Mystery Z in Love? I roll my eyes handing back the phone to my coach. 

"Is this true?" I shrug my shoulder not at all ready to discuss this with him. He sighs and starts pacing in front of me. "You realize this is just fueling more paparazzi to start hunting you down right?" 

I narrow my eyes at him while clenching my fist. He sees this but still continues "This couldn't have come at worse time. Your tryout is in a week. We need the board to look at you seriously. Not like a love sappy teen. How- Wait!"

I don't bother waiting as I practically stomp away throwing the doors to the gym wide open making them hit the walls hard. Who the hell does he think he is? Why does it matter?!? My skills is what is going to win medals, not my personal life!! I continue stomping through going into the locker room ripping off my leotard replacing it with a sports bra. I throw the damn thing trying to release some of my frustration with it. I close my eyes for a minute with my arms propped on the locker. I pick up some shorts throwing them on and decide I know where to go to work out my  frustrations. 

I walk out of the locker room to see my coach standing there with his arms crossed. I cross my own arms with a glare set on him. My expression must read my mood because he softens his gaze. He steps back and rubs the back of his neck. 

"Z, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to react like that but we have never had to deal with a story like this before." I continue glaring at him. His shoulder's slack making him look like a wounded puppy. "Will start fresh tomorrow morning." 

He doesn't wait as he turns around walking towards the exit door of the gym. I almost growl in frustration before I go into the work out room putting on my boxing gloves. I start pounding the shit out of the punching bag. Only a few other people are here. I grunt while throwing my entire force behind each punch. The frustration coming out with each punch. 

A tap on my shoulder makes me turn around. I feel my chest rising and falling rapidly trying to regulate my breathing. I feel the sweat accumulating on my spine rolling down my back. I turn around slowly to see someone I wasn't expecting standing there. 

Her large kind eyes look at me with concern. Her long blonde hair is in natural beach waves flowing down her back. Cass smiles comfortingly at me. I take a deep breath as I lean forward putting my hands on my knees. I feel tired which I know means it worked. 

My uncle taught me when I was young that boxing was a good way to release anger when I was upset. He was right. I used to be so angry with my dad, my life, and myself. I would almost do this daily until I took up gymnastics. Gymnastics soon took up all my time and became therapeutic in the sense that I could release all my emotions into it. 

"Z, are you okay?" Cass places her hand on my back even though I can feel the sweat coating it. I give her a gentle nod before straightening my back up. I gave her a tilt in my head in confusion on what she is doing here. She must realize what I am thinking because her eyes widen. "Oh sorry, Jackie has dance upstairs so I was just coming to drop her off."

I give her an O shape and she gently giggles helping me relax. I then am surprised when she steps to me embracing me in a sticky sweaty hug. She doesn't seem to mind though as she continues holding me. I finally relax against her and allow the embrace to comfort me in a way I didn't know I needed. Cass must feel that I needed it because she rubs her hand up and down my back in a motherly manner. 

"Come sit with me for a minute." She pulls away taking my hand and taking me to a bench near the window overlooking the gymnastics area. I look out at all of it while Cass follows my gaze. I slouch my shoulders wondering what the hell I really want anymore.

"I never really understood how someone could do all of those flips and tricks on those." She points out to the beam and bars. I give a small smile which she sees making her smile back as she continues. "It takes a lot of dedication to give your whole self to the sport. Eat, sleep, and drink it as if it's your life line..." She pauses for a minute. " The only comparison I have is Jackie who is my life line. My husband... well he was no good for me." 

I look to her seeing her eyes well up with tears. "I always looked at my parents as the example of what I wanted. They were opposites in almost everything but that is why they were perfect for each other. I wanted someone who completed me the same way and I convinced myself that I had found it." She rubs her hands on her legs and chuckles humorlessly. "Clearly I didn't." 

She turns looking directly at me. "Look, I know that you have a LOT on your plate but I just wanted to let you know that if you needed someone to vent to or just to rely on- I would be happy to be there for you." I smile looking down reaching for her hand squeezing it tightly. She gives me a reassuring smile. "Plus, I believe my brother has found his missing piece." 

I roll my eyes while I feel a blush creeping up my cheeks. She laughs loudly causing her body to shake. I nudge her playfully. I was grateful for her. She didn't know it yet but I already considered her as a friend.