Underground

Mabel slowed down as the forest around her became more recognizable. The trees that before had been scary and unfamiliar, filled with noises she didn't know the source of, had slowly changed into more familiar scenery. The sky, still a dark red, cast a strange light on the trees that made them look different, but after running around this forest with her twin brother all summer, she had most of it memorized.

Even with the end of the world, she still recognized the old tree that has led down into a secret bunker, and the nearby fallen tree that Wendy and Dipper had talked to each other on afterwards. The scene was forever burned into her mind, as one of her many mistakes had occured that day. A mistake that almost got her brother and Wendy killed. Thank god the older girl was competent enough to get them out of that situation.

At the memory, Mabel tears up a bit, the water falling from her eyes before she could stop it. Oh Wendy, if only she were here now. She always showed so much courage, and was always strong in the face of danger. Mabel wishes she were here, just so she wouldn't be alone right now.

She gives herself only a moment to cry, then wipes the tears away and pulls her grappling hook from her sweater pocket. She points it up at the lever, and fires, opening the hatch that led down into the depths of the tree bunker. She hated going down here after last time, but she needed supplies. And where better to look than here, in the bunker yer Great Uncle had built just in case something like this happened?

The air inside the bunker was cold, stale, and a bit dusty, but the filters that Ford had set up so long ago still worked, and kept out the polluted, smoke filled air of the apocalypse. Mabel greedily breaths in the semi-fresh air, taking in as much as she could now before she had to leave. It may be her only chance to do so, as she didn't plan on coming back here any time soon.

She heads down into the depths of the building, picking up as much food and water she could while she walked through the area. It was cold, but the cold air was a relief from the blistering heat. It was nice, and a much needed break from the painful heat. She understood why Ford had built this place, why he would want to live down here in case things went wrong. She was almost tempted to stay here herself, but she needed to save Dipper.

It really was a shame that the shape shifter had ruined the bunker, as it really could make a lovely little hide out. Especially with the right decorations. She sighs and shakes her head as she passes the door that leads to the room with the cryogenic freezers, not wanting to get to close. She avoids them, taking a different route to where she wanted to go.

But every choice has consequences, and that specific choice would cost her. By avoiding the room, she didn't notice the broken glass, or the water that covered the floor.

She pauses as she walks into the first room the group had entered when they first came in, looking around and taking in all the memories. If only she could go back to that day, and change the outcome. Maybe if she had listened to Dipper back then...

No. She won't think about it.

She can make camp here for the night, and keep going in the morning, she decides. Or, whenever she wakes up. Morning hasn't been a thing for who knows how long at this point. So she sits down and brings her knees up to her chest, pulling her sweater up and over her knees to keep her legs warm.

"Don't worry, Dipper... I'm coming for you..."

Her eyes close, and she slowly lets herself fall asleep, jumping awake once or twice at strange noises, but then inevitably giving in to the exhaustion that wracks her body.

She needed the rest if she was going to save her brother, after all.