vi. deaths grasp

CHAPTER SIX ━━ DEATH'S GRASP, Season One   :   Episode Two of The Walking Dead

Season One   :   Episode Two of The Walking Dead

By the time Adeline Grimes found herself crawling under the bus and into the walker infested streets, her nose had grown numb to the putrid smell of death. They were quick to figure out that Ricks plan worked, and the stalkers truly believed that they were apart of them. The girls breaths of fear went unheard by the monsters, her hand loosely gripped around the metal handle of her baseball bat that she brought with her. The heart in her chest pounded harshly, pumping blood of adrenaline through her veins. It was as if she could hear it in her ears, feel it in her fingertips as she brushed shoulders with a walker. It growled at her, but only slowly went on its way.

Thunder tumbled above them, lightening cracking in they sky — her body staying close between Rick and Glenn. The three of them had slowed their pace, a slight limp to their step to help blend in with the hoard. "It's gonna work. I can't believe it." The boy next to her whispered lowly beneath his breath, eyes wide of shock as he looked to the siblings. But before her brother could scold him for talking, Adeline quietly shushed the boy and motioned her head to the walkers surrounding them. Just as she did that, a female walker pushed between her and Glenn and growled at the boy. He went the extra mile, throwing a growl it's way to blend in more, rolling his eyes into the back of his head. His actions convinced the walker well enough, its body pushing past the three of them.

Rain split from the sky, pouring down onto them in a harsh manner. Adeline felt the trench coat get heavier by the second, the guts and clumps of intestines falling off of the material. The handle of her bat began to get slippy, fear replacing the adrenaline in her veins. "Rick.." She whispered in fright, her voice cracking and eyebrows scrunching up in pure anxiety. The blood seeped through the coat and onto the ground, more than likely staining her skin beneath it seeing as she had taken the denim jacket off of her arms before walking into the arms of death. The only thing that protected her skin from walker bites was the long sleeved shirt she wore and the trench coat, both being thin material.

"You're okay Addy." Rick mumbled in assurance back to his sister, Glenn's frightened voice breaking through the rain — "The smell's washing off, isn't it? Is it washing off?" He panicked, the walkers taking notice in their straight and on guard posture, the smell of death slowly wavering off of them. "No it's not.." Her brother assured the two, until a walker growled loudly and lunged to the three; "Well, maybe."

With that, he twisted around on the heels of his feet and sent the axe blade into the walkers head. Adelines eyes widened, her grip tightening on the bat as she heard her brother screaming for them all to run, which she did. The boots she wore scuffed against the concrete, a rotted hand grabbing onto flap of the trench coat and pulling her back into its grasp. A fearful gasp left her lips as the rain pattered onto her face and blurred her vision — raising the bat in her hands and swinging it down onto the walkers head. It weakened its hold on her, which she took as an advantage and kicked herself away from it. Hurriedly, she picked up her speed and rushed to the metal gate before them. She tossed the baseball bat over the towering fence, wrapping her fingers around the metal rings and pulling herself up.