[2] Detective Skinny Legs

C H A P T E R  2

C H A P T E R 2

"Are you ready to talk?"

She runs her tongue over her bloodied lip, refusing to speak. I've gotta give it to her...she's quite stupid. It's truly fascinating.

"Well...?" I prompt her. Still, she keeps her mouth shut. Time to bring out the big guns. "Stay put." After a second, I laugh shaking my head, eyeing her secured wrists. As if she could get up and walk away.

Giddy, I walk into my bedroom with a bounce in my step. Fixating my eyes on the tiny cage sitting on my dresser on the far side of the room, I smile, walking over. Unlocking the cage, I grab my baby: my tarantula, Detective Skinny Legs or Skins for short. "Hi, Skins! Are you ready to threaten someone?" I coo at my spider. As if he can hear me, he does a hoppy little dance thing.

With a smile, I skip out of the room with my spider. We arrive in front of my special guest and she observes Skins with a wary expression.

"This is skins! Isn't he cute?" I introduce him to her enthusiastically. She looks at me with a blank stare.

"Hell fucking no," she spits. I frown. Well, that wasn't very nice. Too bad she's going to get a little cozier with him in a few seconds.

My once happy expression changes faster than my mood does when a telemarketer calls. I snarl at the woman. "Too bad." I shove my spider towards her face. "Skins, attack," I order. Skins actually couldn't hurt a fly if he wanted to. He was too soft- literally and figuratively, but she doesn't need to know that.

She screams as Skins jumps and makes a home for himself on top of her matted head, moving around in small circles like a dog trying to find a comfortable spot to sleep. I read in her file somewhere that she had a fear of spiders, so this works out of me.

I gaze at her with half-lidded eyes and a bored expression, raising a brow.

She looks at me desperately. "Fine. Fine, I'll tell you where the children are, just please get this thing off my head."

Satisfied, I step forward and gently take the 'thing' off her head. "I'm listening."

Gina fills me in on where the children are while I patiently wait for her to finish, a ticked-off expression adorning my face. When I get to those ugly bastards they're going to wish they were dead. I will knock their heads clean off their shoulders and into the next century. Not even their mothers can save them.

They will pay.

Even if their heads won't be only their shoulders soon, mine has to stay put. I have to be smart about this.

"Thank you for your help, Ms. Vasquez. I can't say it was a pleasure speaking to you, though," I said. "Now, we have two options here: I can either kill you so that you don't go whine to your boss, though we both know how that will end up for you." I narrow my eyes. "There's also option two, let you go and hope and pray that you won't snitch," I say the last option in a high-pitched mocking voice. She didn't seem to appreciate it very much. "Which one is it?"