Chapter 3 - Janice

Janice wrung her hands after the two men stepped out of the room. Mrs. Moore patted her shoulder.

"It's alright. He is just a little...surprised."

"Surprised?" Janice turned to the other woman. "But he wrote me. He invited me out here to be his wife."

"Well, about that." Mrs. Moore's mouth narrowed. "You see, Mr. Young is a private man and needs a wife but was unable to find a proper one anywhere in the area."

"But he didn't want me." Janice's stomach flipped as realization dawned on her. "He didn't write me. The Reverend did?" All had been a trick. Her future husband had not written her at all. He didn't even know she had existed. All that way and now she had no new home, no new husband.

Mrs. Moore led her to a chair and gave her a gentle push down. "There. There, now. No need to get all upset." The woman's face did not match her words. She had a worried look as she glanced at the closed door. "It was done out of concern for Mr. Young. He needs a wife and, well, he wouldn't have taken the initiative."

"He's not happy," Janice mumbled as tears pricked at her eyes. She wasn't normally a weepy woman, but the emotions of the day had been as though she had been in a cyclone. There had been nervousness and excitement while traveling, then fear and anticipation on arrival, confusion as to where her intended was, excitement on preparing to meet him, and then to find that he didn't even know she existed. Now what was she to do?

The door opened, and she jerked her head up to see the minister step inside alone and close the door. Well, that answered her question. Her future husband was not actually her future husband.

"My dear, everything is fine, just fine." The minister moved to sit across from her. He took her hand in his. "I have a confession. I believe you now realize that the man who you thought corresponding with you was not the young man outside. It was me. I knew you would be more reluctant to come out if you thought someone else was acting on his behalf. You see, he needs a wife and has been reluctant to look for one. We decided to look for him. You were- you are the perfect match for him. He is chewing on my words now and the logic of it all. Please forgive my deception, but it is for both of your benefits. All will be good."

His look was sincere. Janice had no doubt about that. The lines in his face was deep from the worry he possessed.

His hands gripped hers tightly. "I never wanted to cause you concern, my dear. It will be alright."

Janice wondered if he was reassuring himself or her. She gave him a weak smile and a nod. No use arguing until they knew the decision of the man right outside the door.

They didn't have to wait long. The door opened, and Steve Young stepped inside. The three in the living room looked up in unison, their gazes inquisitive.

Steve gave an uncomfortable look at the ones waiting on him. His hat turned around in his hand. His gaze landed on Janice's white face. "My apologies, ma'am, for all of this. It isn't fair to you." His eyes moved up to the older people. "As for you two, I'm very disappointed. This was beneath you."

The Reverend and his housekeeper bent their heads in shame but didn't say a word. Steve stared quietly at them for a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, "That all being said, we have to decide what to do next."

Janice's throat clenched and her chest hurt. She feared what his next words would be. How would she be able to afford the ticket back home to nothing?

"You came a long way." He waited on her to nod in agreement. "I'm sure it cost quite a bit of money."

Janice nodded again. A spark of home flickered deep within her. Could it truly all turn out alright?

"I know this is not turning out the way you'd like, but there is no sense in trying to reverse it. That is not possible. If you are still open to the idea, we can get married." He stumbled into the next sentence as she sat sit up even straighter. "I don't expect you to fulfill all your...wifely duties. We can get to know each other better."

His words did not dampen the joy with in her. All was not lost. She didn't have to find a way back to Kentucky. A new future was opening up for her.

The housekeeper clasped her hands in joy while the minister stood up and clapped the younger man on the back.

"Well, let's get this wedding started." The minister's words were loud and joyous. He turned to Mrs. Moore. "Get Ralph in here. We need another witness."

Within minutes, Janice stood next to Steve with a small handful of silk flowers Mrs. Moore had produced. Ralph had been quickly cleaned up by the housekeeper, the evidence of his hard work in the minister's barn with the horse gone, his face shining from the quick wash. Mrs. Moore and Ralph stood to the side as the Reverend pulled from his coat pocket a small Bible. The service began.