Chapter 9 - Janice

Janice hummed as she swept the kitchen. With the dishes done and the leftover stew stored in a crockpot down in the root cellar, she felt a sense of accomplishment steal over her. Supper had gone over just as well as the lunch hour. Another good meal behind her. Another day of feeling like she had found a home.

She put the broom away and stood looking over the clean kitchen with her hands on her hips. It was a pleasing sight.

Grabbing her shawl from its hook inside the bedroom, she stepped out onto the front porch. Janice wrapped the shawl around her and sat down on the top step.

The quietness of the scene settled around her like a comforting blanket. She enjoyed the sound of nature as it prepared for the night. Back home, she'd sit outside under the moonlight, long after most people had extinguished their lamps and gone to sleep. The darkness did not hold any horror for her. It offered a peace that reached deep into her soul. It was a reprieve from the pressure of the day and gave a rest beyond that of just sleep.

It was the same in this strange, new land. The darkness stretched far into the distance and gave the appearance of disappearing into eternity. She closed her eyes.

The wind softly blew across her. It held a slight icy edge in it that was not quite cold but held the promise of an intense chill. The earthy smell of the ground and the horses drifted with the wind. Janice sighed. It was heavenly.

Opening her eyes again, she noticed the fullness of the moon. It seemed to fill the sky, as large as the sun during the day. But this object could be stared at and contemplated, which she did.

Was the moon really made of cheese? If so, wasn't it afraid of mice who could make their way up to the luscious offering? She giggled softly to herself. Her mother had always laughed at her childish thoughts. Her innocence and imagination were strong and came out in her speculations. Well, it at least kept her entained when she was stressed or bored.

The men had gone to check on the herd one last time before turning in. One would stay the night and watch over them. Janice hoped it wasn't Steve. Then again, maybe they needed a little space. It was a little stressful on the both of them, with the new situation and all.

Her answer came within half an hour when all the other men showed up without Steve. Dick jumped down from his horse and handed the reins to Randy. He made his way directly to her.

"Ma'am, Steve has volunteered to stay this first night. He wanted me to send you his apologies, but he wanted to make sure no mountain lions had followed the herd. Someone else will take over tomorrow," he reassured her.

Janice fought back the disappointment within her. Instead she gave the man a warm smile. "Thank you, Dick. I'll see you in the morning."

He gave her a nod and disappeared around the house where the bunkhouse was located. Janice sat still for several moments and sought the peace the night had to offer her.