Chapter 5. The light on the path

I remembered everything from last night. I remember how the bed felt after a smooth morning. I remember how her hair felt when I stroked it. I remember how her back arched to the wall and she held on to the wooden frame. I remember all the sweat from both our bodies. What I don't remember is waking up to her not being in bed.

At first I thought she must have ditched the bot but that made no sense. To swim in Gulf waters? Not possible not this far. Too much energy. Then, I heard the shower and it was running. My panic disappeared so I stood up. I approached the shower so she could take a look at me. She turned around, smiled back at me, and opened the door. My turn, so we had a second round in the shower. Needless to say, the carpet was soaked and the reaction from Ryan scared us back to reality.

"You know I do have my family here guys."

" sorry Ryan."

"Oh no that's alright! By the way whoever one of you snored I did have some medicine for that too."

" we will be up soon," said Sarah to him as she stayed covered by holding on to me."

" We will be reaching Panama City to refuel. At 9 pm we will leave to Galveston. We are visiting the city but I'll let you guys choose wether to stay on the boat on not."

Ryan walked away and behind him followed his wife. I think we just inspired them? Not sure what that was about really. We laughed it off and finished what we started.

"So to answer your question from last night. I think you know what we are by now."

Reality hit me like hell. I fell to my knees as I realized what just happened. I remember everything. I remember her dead husband commuting a crime. I remember she is a person of interest. I remember I was helping her leave the States. I remembered the purpose and anger filled me.

"So do you want to leave the states or not?"

Sarah realized why I fell and she got on her knee too. She lifted my head with two fingers and said to me.

" I will do what you think it's best. Take this time to choose if you want. I may have asked to leave but, you're the one taking me there. "

Frustration, fear, loss, sadness, and anger. I felt it all. I let my emotions interfere and I will pay the price. It felt wrong now, all of it. I could just as easily help her back home as make her leave her home. So much confusion. Sarah got dressed and left to go eat breakfast upstairs. I sat alone on the bed, naked still choosing what to do. I know what my stomach was choosing though.

I joined everyone upstairs to another fine breakfast morning. Ryan's family was dressed to go into the city for a while. I must have missed the part where Sarah changed her top into a bikini one but, she didn't look like she was leaving the boat to go offshore.

Noon time came around. I walked up to Sarah who was enjoying the sun and the wind of the Gulf. I reached my hand down to her.

"Come on, let's go in the city just to eat though."

" They have food here Joshua."

" be with me today please?"

Sarah's reaction felt odd.

" everything ok?"

" I know what you chose. It's obvious by this move of yours."

" Sarah I'm still choosing but, I haven't been with you in years. Please let's catch up some more. Don't be like this."

"You love again after one night that's what the problem is now. Not the feds, your emotions."

I put my hand down and slowly walked away. I turned back and said loudly, "who said I stopped? You? I guess you don't know me well enough."