1 - The Truth Will Hurt

“Should he die, the story shall end. Should he live, the end will never be. Doomed to disappear or doomed to eternity?” The voice chuckled in response to his own thoughts.

“I want to see a good show. I’m sure they do too. Albeit from another angle.”

You came for this, and this you shall receive.

-

--

The first thing he noticed when he opened his eyes, were the lack of lights. Either that, or he was blind. He could see nothing beyond, and yet his eyes felt very comfortable, without any strain to see in the dark.

The second was that his body felt very heavy and tired. His eyes started to droop back, fluttering shut, but with sheer willpower he kept them open. Sleep was the last thing he wanted to do in here.

Hm. It kind of felt familiar though. He’s been here before hasn’t he? But it’s not supposed to be this dark right? He didn’t even know this place was capable of that.

He can smell and feel the ectoplasm around him. Was this the ghost zone? No, not quite… something else… There was ticking in the distance.

Or maybe just very faint ticking. Very. Slow. Ticking.

Tick… Tock… Tick… Tock…

Anyway, the room didn’t feel big. Yes. Feel. For some reason Danny could get a very rough estimate of the size of a room just by being in it for a good while.

As he was thinking with a muddled mind, someone interrupts his thoughts.

‘Danny… are you awake?’ a voice echoes. Neither too high nor low, and with such a familiar tone. A voice that sounds utterly done with shenanigans, yet worried.

“R…ed..?” Danny croaks out, not expecting his throat to be so dry. He starts coughing a little. Something cold touches his lips.

‘Drink.’ The echo mutters. Danny complied and swallowed, enjoying the cool fresh liquid running down his throat. Though he swallowed a little too enthusiastically and ended up coughing more. The voice sighs, and a cold hand pats his back awkwardly.

The room brightens to a dull green glow, making things visible now.

“Ack. Thanks.” Danny huffs a bit, breathing slowly to stop the coughing. “Red, where are we?” the currently raven-haired halfa asked, casual in tone.

The cloaked figure, supposingly Red, did not answer.

The ticking got a little louder.

Tick tock tick tock-

“Red?”

‘We’re in my place.’

“Really?” Danny scoffed. “Why the sudden visit?” He tried to push himself up to get a better look, but his whole body complained and he winced. A gloved hand pushed him back down, huffing an echo.

“Oh.”

‘How can you not notice?’ Even with just two glowing red eyes peeking out, Danny could tell Red was wearing the ‘I don’t want to live on this realm anymore’ expression. ‘Lay down and rest. We have enough time.’ His echo had a bit of a grovel in it.