010. 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐁𝐞 𝐚 𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦

July 30th, 1963

Sunlight caught the corner of my gold rimed sunglasses as I reached excitedly for the brass handle of the front door to the Post Office, whistling to myself. Today would be the day, I just had a feeling about it. Five days had gone by and nothing had been there. I had come by the Post Office each day after 5pm, so as to not be questioned when I slipped out of the house, hoping and praying that another ivory letter adorned with that beautiful sloping script would be waiting in the box for me. Each day I had been disappointed to see it empty. 

But not today, today felt special. 

I took a giddy breath as the smell of paper and stamp glue floated up to my nose. The postal clerk nodded her head to me politely as I entered, her eyes assessing me in the same curious way they always did. 

"Afternoon, Miss Bell." She called, "Back again today are we?"

"Oh yes," I replied with an airy wave of my hand "Just waiting on a special package, I'm hoping it finally arrived."

The clerk nodded, a small furrow in her arched brows, but she said nothing more on the subject. I removed my shades, tucking them away as I reached into my pocket for the key to my box. My heeled sandals clicked softly against the marble floor as I approached #268 with silent anticipation. It has to be here today, I thought to myself, it just has to be. I had given it quite a bit of thought over the past few days, the timeline of his expected correspondence. It wasn't exactly a well kept secret that the president was an avid reader, so it couldn't possibly take him too long to read something like 1984. Even less time was needed to write a letter back in response. Perhaps I had been a little over zealous to return the day after  had sent the book to him, but surely after five days...

"Everything ok Miss Bell?"

The clerk had approached behind me while I had been lost deep in my thoughts. I looked up sweetly, feigning an innocent look to mask the flush on my face. 

"Oh yes, just swell. The heat's just gotten to me, I'm afraid." I lied easily, casting a concerned look to her "You really are something for enduring the heat in here all day, how do you keep your face looking so put together? Lord knows I can never figure it out." 

Now it was her turn to blush. 

"Oh it's nothing really, just a little extra powder here and there during the day." She smiled, her gaze less judgmental now as she looked me over again,"But I don't think you need to worry about that dear."

I looked down politely, willing that flush to seem polite as I played with my purse. 

"Now I'm truly embarrassed." I said with a little laugh. "You're too kind."

"It's few and far between, so cherish it." She replied with wit, and I smiled genuinely at the remark.  "Now go on, open it up." 

I was honestly a bit surprised by my quick save, it was one of my more masterful displays of grace. I smiled smugly as I turned back around. Father would be proud. 

I finally turned my attention back on the box. Excitement was filling my veins as I chased that feeling from that night five nights ago. The silver key shook in my hand slightly as I eased it into the lock, turning it softly until the old mechanism clicked to signal it was unlocked. I pulled gently, and the door to the box opened with a small creak.

Please be here, I begged to no one.

Finally I dared take a glance inside. 

Empty.

The excitement quickly fizzled out, feeling a burning dry feeling in my throat. Empty again. I swallowed, willing a stinging well of tears to quell on my lower lids. The air I had been holding in exited my nose in disappointment.