Chapter 11

On that Friday, the strangest thing happened to Odette.

She got out of her house with the goal of getting up her bike and riding straight to school. She made it as far as the first step of her porch before a yell coming from the neighbors house startled her.

"Hey, Odette!" It was no one other than Sebastian McCoy.

She was caught by surprise. Not that Sebastian did not talk to her, he was really polite and usually greeted her (one of the reasons she was hopelessly in love with him for three years). But, it was usually something not longer than a "good morning" or a "how is it going?" that was mostly out of his politeness than of actual interest in her answer. That is why she usually just bothered to smile back. However, this time, he had not only looked very glad to see her but he was also motioning for her to approach.

Well, that's unusual.

She did not seem to be the only one with that thought. His brother, Michael Caleb, slowly swinging on the balcony swing, looking as he always did, straight out of a bad boy teen fiction with a black eye and smoking a cigarette, raised one of his eyebrows in surprise. He bugged her. She never knew exactly why, but he bugged her.

"How's it going?" Sebastian did not move straight to his car and drove away like he usually did, he just stared at her.

For the first time he was waiting for her answer.

As soon as she realized this, she smiled to hide her shocked face. "Good. How's it going?" She added the last part when he did not make a move to leave.

He eyed the helmet on her hand. "Wanna a ride to school?" He pointed to his black Range Rover behind him. A car fit for the McCoys. Odette was too surprised to answer and he mistook her silence by hesitation. "I was just thinking that, as we are going to the same place, it would make sense to drive together."

"I-I don't want to bother you." She mentally kicked herself for the stammer.

You are over this silly crush, no need to get all nervous. She reminded herself while going down the remaining steps on her porch. She blamed his good looks. Yes, today he had dark bags under his blue eyes, and, if anyone paid enough attention, like Odette usually did, they could see that Sebastian's strong shoulders were slightly pointing forward challenging his ever so confident demeanor. Still, she thought he looked as handsome as ever.

Maybe that was why she nodded when he said it was no bother. He smiled at that.

Yeah, as handsome as ever.

He started making his way around his car in direction to the driver's seat and Odette forced herself to stop staring at him and also move towards the Range Rover.

She gingerly opened the passenger's door, however Sebastian stopped on his tracks and looked annoyingly at a point behind the car.

"Do you mind?" He turned to his brother sprawled on the sofa swing.

Odette looked behind her for the source of the problem and found it with no difficulty. The motorbike was simple, Odette for sure had seen other bikes that called more attention, something you would not expect a McCoy to own. She thought that might be exactly why Michael owned it.

Michael again raised one eyebrow, as if he did not know what Sebastian was talking about.

"Can you move your bike?"

Michael took his time taking a last drag from his cigarette and slowly stood.

Odette couldn't help but think how both brothers were so different. She knew that they only shared a father, the details of that story she could not say as sharing Mr. McCoy's old affair is not something that helps the couple get over it, nor are they proud of it. But, Sebastian and Michael still grew up together. She would have imagined that their personality would be somewhat more alike. And actually, now that she stopped to think about it, that was a time they were, not close they were never close, but they managed to live somewhat peacefully together. That was when they had something in common. While Sebastian was the quarterback of the football team, Michael was the captain of the high school swimming team. They both were remarkably good at what they did and had a fair amount of girls falling at their feet, that was until,one day, Michael just stopped, and the only girls to seek him were the ones with already stained reputations. A true waste of talent, was what Odette thought.