Sanctuary

New York, May 23, 2019

The city was alive as ever, living carelessly and ignorant. Car horns blared nearby, and a light breeze tossed paper around sidewalks. Rushed footsteps were barely audible over the sound of traffic. She carried a suitcase behind her, its wheels clicking with each crack in the pavement. The girl pulled out her phone and it buzzed in her hand.

'Where are you?'

She quickly swiped open to her texts.

'Ugh, on my way. Running late. Again.' she replied.

She slipped her phone into her pocket and hailed a taxi.

~~~

"Ollie...late as usual."

Aziel stood on the step of the old church-like building. He had been anxiously waiting for the past twenty minutes and Olive still hadn't arrived. His phone buzzed as her text came in.

'Ugh, on my way. Running late. Again.' it said.

He chuckled and shook his head. He sat down on the step and a bright yellow taxi pulled up a few minutes later. Olive stumbled out, attempting to get her bag out of the back seat. Aziel stood and helped her get it.

"I'm so sorry I'm late!" She started, "I couldn't find my suitcase and I lost my phone and-"

Aziel put a hand on her shoulder to silence her. She looked up at him guiltily.

"Hello to you too." he said with a grin and raised eyebrows.

Olive giggled and straightened her shirt and smoothed out her hair.

"Let's go meet our new roommates." she said over her shoulder as she walked past him and up the stairs with her suitcase, her friend following shortly after with a small grin.

~~~

The floorboards creaked under the dark red carpet.

"Ah, you finally roll in." said a smooth feminine voice.

"Sorry we're late, that was my fault." Olive said apologetically.

The girl came around the corner. She had tanned, bronze skin and chocolaty brown eyes. Her long black hair was twisted into a graceful messy bun, and her shirt was smooth against her skin, showing off her curves. She had long legs, with a short leather skirt and black heeled knee high boots.

"I'm Avaline," she grinned "But just call me Avvie."

Aziel put his hand up and she shook it firmly.

"Aziel," he said politely "And this is Olive."

Olive just gave a small wave, still staring at Avvie.

"Nice to meet you both." The taller dark haired girl said "C'mon, let's go meet my brothers."

With that the two friends followed Avaline out of the front room.

~~~

The room they entered was a basic training room. Mats covered the floor, and punching bags were at each corner, as well as one in the center of the room. On one wall weapons were hung neatly and very well organized. Two people were standing near the weapons wall talking.

"Olive, Aziel, meet my brothers." Avaline said, interrupting their conversation.

The two guys turned to look at them.

"Ah! They finally arrive." said the shorter one with the silvery white hair "Name's Keil."

He held his hand out to Olive and, instead of shaking it, he raised her hand and lightly kissed her knuckles.