Prologue

Dick laughed as he went down the stairs. "And you just couldn't say no."

"Evidently not," Bruce answered, straightening his tie as he followed the younger man into the cave. "She just wouldn't take no for an answer, bless her heart."

"That doesn't sound like the kind of thing you bless people's hearts for," the dark-haired teen behind the two interjected skeptically.

"There isn't much else you can do," Bruce chuckled. "Except maybe hope that their centuries on this earth catch up with them soon."

Dick laughed with his former mentor. "That won't be happening anytime soon. She looks even better than when I was first going to parties with you."

Bruce sighed, shaking his head. "The lifespan of a stubborn woman never ceases to amaze me."

"I have a teacher who taught the other teachers at the school," Tim piped in, smirking. "We're all convinced she's immortal."

"Ms. McGinnis? She was old when I was there," Dick chortled.

"She was old when I was there," Bruce echoed as they reached the bottom of the steps. "She was old when she taught my teachers."

"I always forget both of you went to Gotham Academy," Tim mumbled, grinning to hide his slight embarrassment.

Bruce leaned against the Batcomputer, his hands in his pockets. "I hate to be redundant, but you're sure you won't need me to come along?"

Dick chuckled as he pulled off his shirt. "I like how you say 'I hate to be redundant,' then immediately ask the same thing you've been asking all afternoon."

"Yeah," Tim agreed. "It's not like we haven't done this before."

Bruce held up his hands in surrender, shaking his head. "All right, you've made your point."

"Somebody call the Justice League. Batman just admitted defeat!" Dick's comment drew a snort from his successor.

Bruce raised his eyebrows, and Tim slapped a hand over his mouth to stifle his laughter, only successful in slightly muffling the sound.

"You might want to finish suiting up," Bruce said pointedly, his expression unreadable.

"Right, yeah." Tim hurriedly picked up his second glove and pulled it on. He went to put on his boots, but stopped. "Where's my other--"

"Over here," Dick called, tossing the offending shoe to his brother.

Tim caught it. "Thanks," he started to say.

Then he stopped.

Dick had unfurled his wings from their concealed position on his back. They were still folded, but they extended well over his head, catching the low light and reflecting it with a deep blue sheen. No matter how many times he saw it, Tim never ceased to be amazed by the magnificent plumage.

"Are you going to fight crime in one bare foot?" Bruce asked bluntly.

Tim hopped on his booted foot as he pulled it on, laughing uncomfortably. "Right, yeah. That would be important."

Bruce sighed. "Tim, can I talk to you?" the billionaire asked.

He took a few hops in the direction of his mentor, silently going over all the possible reasons why Bruce would want to talk to him. Was it his unhealthy relationship with late nights and lots of coffee? Was Bruce worried he couldn't handle the stress? Was this finally the intervention he'd been silently praying for for the past month and a half? "Yeah, coming."

Bruce crossed his arms as Tim stood in front of him, fixing his boot. "You're distracted."

Tim furrowed his brow, letting his foot fall to the ground. "It only took me a couple seconds--"

"I'm not talking about your footwear situation, though I'm glad you have that sorted out."

"Then what--"

"You think I haven't noticed those prolonged glances you give Dick's wings?" Bruce lifted an eyebrow. "They clearly occupy a significant amount of your attention."

Tim shook his head, a confused expression spread over his features. "No, they're not. I just think they're cool."

"And the forlorn look you have whenever you turn away from them?" Bruce's look said he knew he was right.

Tim couldn't meet his gaze anymore. "It's not that big a deal," he muttered uncertainly, scanning the floor for something to save him from the uncomfortable situation.

"Are you sure about that? A distraction is a distraction, and it's clearly lasted several months already. If I'm not mistaken, since you first started as Robin." His penetrating scrutiny didn't waver, making Tim squirm uncomfortably for several long seconds. "Are you going to tell me what's going on with you?"

"Nothing's going on--"

"I very much doubt that," Bruce said.

Tim sighed. "He just seems so much... better suited for this than I am," he said quietly.

"How so?" Bruce probed.

Tim lifted a hand in the general direction of his surrogate brother, who was presently making himself useful by scrutinizing the headlights of the Batmobile. "I mean, he was raised by acrobats. He barely even needed training before he started because he was already in amazing physical condition, and you guys immediately hit it off. And just look at him!" Tim flung both of his hands in the air toward Dick. "He has freaking wings!"

"And you think that your lack of acrobatic parents and wings is the reason that you're not suited for this."

Tim shook his head. "No, that's not it. Like, Jason didn't have wings. But he had at least something to make him qualified for it. His hearing saved both of your lives countless times, and his nose helped you on so many cases."

"You are aware that Dick never used his--"

"I know, I know. Which also discounts my argument. Which is why I didn't want to bring it up. Because it makes absolutely no sense. It's completely illogical! I've clearly shown myself to be fully capable of handling everything I've faced so far, and for every advantage that Jason and Dick had that I lack, I have something else to make up for it." He rubbed his face in his hands. "It's just so stupid!"

Bruce folded his hands at his waist. "Self-doubt often ignores reason," he agreed.

Tim crossed his arms miserably. "Does Dick know?"

"I didn't tell him," Bruce answered. Tim gave a small sigh of relief. "But I'd be surprised if he didn't already figure it out himself. He's not exactly oblivious when it comes to reading people." The teenager glanced at his brother nervously, then caught himself staring at his wings again. It was hard not to.

"You'll never be Dick or Jason."

Tim turned to face Bruce, his mouth open to argue.

Bruce lifted his hand to silence him. "But that's okay, because you're Tim. And do you know who Tim is?"

Tim thought for a moment. "I don't know the answer you're looking for, but you're probably going to tell me," he grumbled, sounding miffed.

Bruce stepped forward and placed a firm hand on Tim's shoulder. "He's just the right person for the job."

Tim mulled it over briefly. Sure, it was corny, but that didn't mean it wasn't true. He was the kid who figured out who Batman was, wasn't he? Out of seven billion people, he was the one who stepped out and declared that Batman couldn't go it alone. And that itself was something to consider.

He gave Bruce a little smile, looking up to meet the eyes of his mentor. "Thanks."

Bruce pushed him away gently, sending him jogging off to where Dick waited by their bikes. "Now go remind Gotham why you're Robin."