serene

we're the only two customers at the 24/7 open diner on the eastern freeway. the dull humming of the lone server that's tidying up the kitchen counter buzzes in my ears. she's humming a song from long before when you, or i, was born.

it's close to 6am or at least, that's what my sleek wristwatch reads.

we sit across from each other, in silence that is anything but awkward.

you run your hands through your raven hair; lush, plump pink lips pouted slightly.

i sip on my large strawberry milkshake, holding it in both hands.

you're in that worn leather jacket i can never seem to get you out of, and black pants.

i wear a borrowed band tshirt that reaches the edge of my thighs, it is tucked in messily at the front, into my slightly frayed bootcut jeans. i wear worn out converse from high school, my hair is open and messy from the wind outside.

our riding helmets lay forgotten on the side.

we look at each other, as if figuring out just how we got here. the sky is beginning to turn all shades of orange, a pure indication that the morn is nearing.

you lean in close, making me catch my breath. it's too close for comfort but with you, i like it that way.

i can't even blink, fearing that this moment will pass. you will be gone as you always are; always gone in the mornings.

gone as the moon always is; gone in the mornings—leaving back the slightest trace in the azure sky, that it was ever there.

to me, you were as precious as the moon with your inert eyes of diamond. you saw, you spoke, you lived like everybody else did, but it always felt like you were the calm before a storm.

your eyes were a calamity and i had learned to live in the aftershock.

you spoke in a language that was mine and yet, i didn't understand you. you spoke of things that i knew and yet, somehow when i was with you i seemed to forget.

your words were almost tangible in the way you brought them to life. i was spent on your superficialities as much as i was on your reality.

i knew where you came from but could never understand where you were going, because honestly, everywhere here on earth seems too prosaic for you.

you showed me the world was beyond beautiful when i had only ever seen it as sinister; aghast.

before i knew it
you had become the serenity
in our serendipitous love.

before i knew it
you had struck a chord
between your thawed heart and my melting mind.