Prolouge

"Mom! You don't understand! You didn't even go to college!" I screamed at my mom through my cellphone, "I just can't take it anymore! I'm dropping out and you can't do anything to stop me!" And with that last remark I hung up the phone.
My name is Kayla Rockwell. I am...well was a sophomore in college. I dropped out about one month ago, but my mother doesn't know that. We really have never seen eye-to-eye, especially after my dad left. So, I tried to hide the fact that I had dropped out, and I was doing fairly well, until my mom received a letter from my college in the mail.
The letter read "Are you sure you want to drop out? It's not to late to come back!" And as soon as she saw that letter, she called me. She was mad. In fact, so mad that she told me that until I applied back to college, I shouldn't contact her anymore, and I'm not going to. At the moment, I'm packing up my things and headed to the train station. Where am I going? I have no idea, I just want to go.
About an hour later, I had a small bag full of clothes, my purse, and 300$ packed and ready to hop onto the train.
I called a taxi and sped all the way to the station.
As I walked in, I saw the huge electronic board full of destinations. My eyes scanned the screen. Of all of the places that I could see, only one of them seemed suitable for my personality and aspirations: L.A. Now, I know people mostly go to L.A. to be actresses of filmmakers, but for me, my dream was to be a script writer. I have always loved books and movies, so being able to write one would be my dream.
I waltzed over to the ticket counter, my mind buzzing with the Golden possibilities of L.A., and gave my money to the ticket person. "One ticket for Los Angeles please." I said in the politest voice I could muster. The man gave me my ticket and scoffed, "you know, you best be careful up in Los Angeles. Your a pretty girl, and Los Angeles just loves pretty girls." He had a slight perversion in his voice, so I quickly raced to my train.
I hopped on just in time. The train was just about to take off. "Wow." I thought to myself, "my luck hasn't been all that bad today." But, I sadly spoke to soon, as I scanned the car for a seat, I saw that the only open one was in between a screaming child and a sketchy figure with a hood over his head. I sighed and trudged over to the spot.
"Excuse me?" I said to the hooded figure, "Is this seat taken?" He just scoffed. I took that as a no and sat down. It was quite a tight squeeze, the kid kept jabbing his elbow into my side, and the man kept getting his feet in my space. I don't know why, but the situation made me feel very uneasy.
After what seemed like forever, the train finally skidded to a stop. I saw that the sign said we were in LA so I grabbed my stuff and dashed out of the train. As soon as my feet touched the ground, a surge of relief filled my body. I began to walk through the station, when I felt a presence like someone was watching me. It was pretty late at night, and there wasn't really anyone in the tunnel I was in, but none the less, I began to walk faster. After a small while, the feeling increased and I found myself running down the hallway. And then all at once, I felt a sharp pain in my head. The man on the train I sat next to had slammed my head onto the wall. "Gimme your money." he said sternly. I didn't move. His grip around my neck tightened a bit. "I said, give. me. your. money." With every word is grip intensified. I began to try and scream. "Help! Help! I'm being mugged!" I then felt a painful blow to my stomach. The man was punching me in my gut. I felt a cool liquid run down the side of my skull. Blood. I then began to cry profusely, which only caused him to beat me further. All of this happened within the span of a few minutes, and then all at once, I heard a deep voice yelling, and all the pressure was lifted from my body. I fell unconscious.

MARK'S POV
I had just gotten off of my train and I was headed home, when I heard a noise that made me get very eerie. I heard what sounded to be a girl pleading for help. I quickly dropped the bag of groceries in my hand, and sprinted to the sound.
Now, it usually wouldn't be this easy to hear such a sound in a train station, but it was very late tonight, and almost no other sounds were being made. I finally found what I believed to be the source of the noise and began to walk down a large tunnel.
"Hello? Hello? I heard someone screaming. Is everything all right?" I called. And then, all at once, I saw a hooded man beating a girl senseless. I quickly ran to the scene. "Hey!! Hey! Stop!!!" The man looked up, grabbed the poor ladies purse, and made a mad dash. I would've gone after him, but this girl looked to be fatally wounded. I crouched beside her and saw that she had fallen unconscious. So, I threw her over my shoulder and took her to the nearest hospital I could find. I wasn't sure why, but already, I felt an attachment to this girl.
After about three hours and many questionings about what happened, I was finally allowed to see the mystery female. It seemed that every doctor in this place thought I was the one to hurt her.
As I entered the room she was in, I saw her lying on a bed, all bandaged up. Whenever I sat down, I took a good long look at her. She was pretty. Very pretty. But I couldn't think about that Now. For now, all I should be worried about is her waking up. As soon as I was about to get up and leave, I heard a small noise come from behind me, I turned around and saw that she was waking up. I dashed to her side. She looked up at me and I gave her a concerned smile and said, "Hi, my name is Mark..."